Need help troubleshooting LED retrofit

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a red sea max 250 i picked up second hand a few years back that came with a steve's led retrofit already installed and i could now use some help troubleshooting it. if you are familiar with steve's led retrofits, i believe this is not the current retrofit offered for the rsm 250, but rather a predecessor, since the installation guide online now is for a drop-in style kit and this seems a bit more involved.

the problem is with one of two banks of leds that are not lighting properly. each bank of leds is made up of white and blue lights, with both white and blue independently adjustable on each separate channels for each bank (so 4 channels total for the 2 banks). here's a pice with both banks off and just the moonlights lit.

IMG_4467.jpg

the top bank (let's call it bank 1) seems to work properly, as you can see in this picture, where both banks of leds should be lit at 2%, but the bottom bank (bank 2) only shows the left array dimly lit and the right array either barely lit or completely off, i can't really tell for sure.

IMG_4469.jpg

i have a digital voltmeter that i can use to test for continuity, etc., however, i'm a novice with all this stuff. i was hoping the symptoms as presented here might be in itself diagnostic to someone that knows what they are doing or at least point to a narrower number of possible problems.

one thing i noted is that there are 4 "steve's led double digital dimming drivers" in this setup and only one of them has a small blue light lit on it. here's a pic of two, including the lit one, which coincidently both are attached to bank 2, which is the bank not properly lighting.

IMG_4471.jpg

the drivers are controlled by a typhon or typhoon controller sold by steve's leds, which i suppose could also be the problem here. additionally, there are 4 control knobs integrated into the red sea hood assembly that can also be used to dim any of the 4 channels, as that seems to be part of the retrofit install too. i've already checked for loose connections and addressed a few splices that had come undone but haven't found anymore.

i just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or advice before i remove the hood entirely and try to trouble shoot the problem blind and with zero experience. its a pain to remove the hood and before i go that route, i want to make sure i have any parts i might need on hand to eliminate taking it on and off again multiple times.

thanks in advance, any help is appreciated. i'd also appreciate any resources someone might know of that would help me figure this stuff out on my own. all the steve's led stuff i could find online seems to be more recent than this and in general i did not find a whole lot more than just the basics of how to diy a fixture and install, rather than a how it works or troubleshooting guide. i can take and post more pics of anything if that would help, just let me know what you would like to see :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
I'm familiar with Steves leds, looked at one in 2012 for my ole 2010 Red Sea 130.

That is an older 250 retro kit and the oldest review goes back to mid-2015 on the newest upgraded kit.

This may help

OP
OP
Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
I'm familiar with Steves leds, looked at one in 2012 for my ole 2010 Red Sea 130.

That is an older 250 retro kit and the oldest review goes back to mid-2015 on the newest upgraded kit.

This may help

after poking around to see if anyone had similar issues, i got the impression that steve's leds customer support wasn't always very responsive, so wanting an answer sooner rather than later, i tried here first.

but fair point, i should give them a chance to help, so i'll do just that.

thanks GoVols :)

OP
OP
Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a driver issue since it seems that there is some power to bank 2, but not enough to light the arrays properly. Just a hunch.

OP
OP
Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will do, after much delay, i'm expecting new drivers, a new powersupply and quieter cooling fan this friday.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back