NEED HELP VERIFYING CORRECT SETUP OF RODI!!!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've attempted to reach out to BRS customer service, but it got me nowhere. Here is the situation: I initially purchased the 4 stage value plus RODI unit from BRS. I began having issues with diatoms and decided to upgrade to the 5 stage. After a couple of months of getting nowhere with the diatoms i upgraded one again, to the 7 stage. Here is where my concern lies. When I turn the unit on, after the sediment filter, the first carbon stage fills with water, I then notice my pressure gauge rise to 60 psi. This is BEFORE the second carbon stage fills with water. Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't both carbon stages fill first, THEN the RO membrane? I believe I screwed something up between the first and second upgrades while modifying my unit to make drinking water as well. I have attached my attempt at a schematic. If pictures are needed I will be more than happy to upload them. Whatever I need to do so one of you can help me! Like I said, I sent all this info to BRS and all I got was a link for installing an auto shutoff valve. They said they didn't have schematics for a 7 stage unit...seems like this should be a simple fix if I could find the right info! Thanks in advance.

0_20210211_185758.jpg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'm following your diagram, it appears you're skipping the last carbon block? If you added onto a "regular" 4 stage unit you'll need to adjust so that flow goes Sediment->Carbon->Carbon->RO membrane -> Cation -> Anion -> Mixed -> Tank. A 4-stage unit is set up to utilize the third canister as DI, after the membrane. For drinking you would want to T off post membrane before it hits DI stages.

Auto-shut off is installed between Carbon and membrane stages (typically red) and post membrane (blue) travels through as well. Best explanation found here, which I assume is what BRS sent you.

Number of stages is irrelevent for the auto-shut off valve. Just make sure its positioned between the membrane and DI. You'll need backpressure somewhere on your tank and drinking lines for it to function. Additionally, they generally fail every 12-18 months in my experience. Best to keep a spare on hand.

For TDS meter locations I run post membrane and post DI. I have a relative understanding of the TDS range of my local source water and don't find much use in a permanent monitor installed there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure I'm following your diagram, it appears you're skipping the last carbon block? If you added onto a "regular" 4 stage unit you'll need to adjust so that flow goes Sediment->Carbon->Carbon->RO membrane -> Cation -> Anion -> Mixed -> Tank. A 4-stage unit is set up to utilize the third canister as DI, after the membrane. For drinking you would want to T off post membrane before it hits DI stages.

Auto-shut off is installed between Carbon and membrane stages (typically red) and post membrane (blue) travels through as well. Best explanation found here, which I assume is what BRS sent you.

Number of stages is irrelevent for the auto-shut off valve. Just make sure its positioned between the membrane and DI. You'll need backpressure somewhere on your tank and drinking lines for it to function. Additionally, they generally fail every 12-18 months in my experience. Best to keep a spare on hand.

For TDS meter locations I run post membrane and post DI. I have a relative understanding of the TDS range of my local source water and don't find much use in a permanent monitor installed there.
I think I see where my error lies now. I never had a problem with the auto shut off, just the carbon stage being after the membrane. Now that you break it down like that and looking at my diagram it seems pretty obvious. Idk I'm about to pull it off the wall and try to figure these thing out! I really appreciate your reply!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see where my error lies now. I never had a problem with the auto shut off, just the carbon stage being after the membrane. Now that you break it down like that and looking at my diagram it seems pretty obvious. Idk I'm about to pull it off the wall and try to figure these thing out! I really appreciate your reply!
All good, been through it before, ha... You’ll be happy with the DI saver set up! :)

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good, been through it before, ha... You’ll be happy with the DI saver set up! :)
It's nice. I've been running it like this for 6 months! Haha. Have saved quite a bit in resin for sure. If its ok with you I may send you another one of my "schematics" after I change all these hoses around...just to make sure.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back