Need help with adding a Neptune Optical Level Sensor

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a Neptune Optical Level Sensor (OS-1-M) to the container that holds my fresh/new saltwater for automatic water changes. The problem is that the container is not very close to the tank/Fluid Monitoring Module (FMM). I will need about 25 - 30 feet of cable to go from the container, up into the ceiling, across and then back down into the FMM. I understand that the cable on the OS-1-M is not nearly that long and that Neptune recommends that you don't extend the cable.

I do have a DOS right next to the container with the fresh/new saltwater. Is there a way to use that? The only other option that I can think of is to buy another FMM, which would be an extra $100.

Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a Breakout box and a float switch. You can add as much wire as you want to the float switch and run it to any place you want. thats what I have in mine.

OP
OP
Hitch08

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is to turn off the DOS before the container of fresh/new saltwater runs too low. If the container were to run out, the DOS would be removing old saltwater but not adding any fresh/new.

Would a horizontal mount float switch work in that situation? Would I mount it low in the container and then set the DOS to turn off when the float switch drops?

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using both types of floats switches with mine. In my ATO i have a float and in the AWC I have the horizontal, so yes it will work. To me that is the best thing about the breakout box, the ability to use for different application and different equipment, and being able to run it as far as you need. Just get a roll of 18 or 22 ga wire and I use the solder heat shrink connectors to protect them for the salt water and run it as far as you need them.

My DOS is controlled by the horizontal switch for my AWC.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Dos is near your water changing station, just bring your fmm over there and connect an AquaBus cable from your Dos to the fmm. This will get you much closer and you won’t have issue with optical sensor cable lengths.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS has two USB ports, you should be able to plug in the sensor to the DOS and have it be seen. Basically all these devices are USB hubs and the DOS is a powered one.

EDIT: Can't plug sensor into DOS direct, but can plug another FMM into DOS. That's one way at least.

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is my thread from a few years back that explains how I setup my programming. Should be helpful...

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS has two USB ports, you should be able to plug in the sensor to the DOS and have it be seen. Basically all these devices are USB hubs and the DOS is a powered one.

The Dos does not have optical sensor ports, just 2 AquaBus (USB) the FMM would have to plug into the one available AquaBus ports in the Dos. That would work.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Dos does not have optical sensor ports, just 2 AquaBus (USB) the FMM would have to plug into the one available AquaBus ports in the Dos. That would work.

Yes srry, plug the FMM in to the DOS and the optical into the FMM. Or is that not possible with the setup? Or you need a second FMM.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing that the fmm he’s using came with his ATK and is close to his display, if that’s the case, he will need a second fmm....

I have personally used stereo cable jack extenders that are about 15 feet additional , and they worked. Yet I helped a friend setup an AWC and tried 30 foot extension cables and they would not work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hitch08

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All - thank you very much for responding and helping. It is much appreciated.

Yes, my FMM is next to the display. I also have two leak detectors plugged into it. Saved my butt with my last tank, which developed a slow leak in the bottom seam. It was a nightmare, but could have been worse.

I kinda....as they said when I was younger...whimped out. I decided to suck it up and buy another FMM. I’ll plug it into the DOS that is right next to the container.

I seriously considered the breakout box, the cost savings, etc. But, I have this concern that I’ll do something wrong and end up dumping in 20 gallons of fresh water from my ATO when I forget to re-fill the fresh saltwater. And, well, what’s another $125 at this point? #ThrowsMoneyOutWindow

Darthsimon - thanks for the link. I’ll certainly need that info when trying to install.

Again, I can’t thank you all enough. I appreciate all of the responses! Thanks all!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing that the fmm he’s using came with his ATK and is close to his display, if that’s the case, he will need a second fmm....

I have personally used stereo cable jack extenders that are about 15 feet additional , and they worked. Yet I helped a friend setup an AWC and tried 30 foot extension cables and they would not work.

Thanks for those numbers, good to get a rough idea on that length.

I tried 40 feet of wire for breakout box without an issue.

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but the DOS does have optical sensor connections. That is what the DDR plugs into. Next to the 1Link connections is a 6 pin MOLEX connector. If you do a search for DOS Optical Sensor on E-bay you can find a pre-made harness that has two sensors and plugs into the DOS. The other advantage of this method is you get a visual display as the DOS thinks you have the DDR plugged in. You can set the capacity ( I forget the maximum) for the containers as well.

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Dos is near your water changing station, just bring your fmm over there and connect an AquaBus cable from your Dos to the fmm. This will get you much closer and you won’t have issue with optical sensor cable lengths.
that is true, depends on how much you want to spend. It would be cheaper with the breakout box. either way there are a lot of different ways to do it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back