kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish

I am assuming I have velvet and crypto.

My fish got a lengthy FW dip and all are in QT. I have four different 10 gallon QT tanks. All have copper at 0.6 mg/L.

My acriflavine will not arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday. All I can do right now is perform FW dips and keep them in QT with copper going.

Two fish (dwarf angel and bluestripe pipefish) show external signs of a couple white spots. They are breathing totally normal and are showing no real signs of stress.

What should I do until my acriflavine arrives so that I can perform a chemical bath?

Thank you for your help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do until my acriflavine arrives so that I can perform a chemical bath?

Do you have formalin? Not my first choice of treatments, but it is effective at clearing velvet. Just won't 100% eradicate it IME.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have formalin? Not my first choice of treatments, but it is effective at clearing velvet. Just won't 100% eradicate it IME.

No I do not.
I am just winging it with my copper treatment. So far my fish are not showing any real threatening physical or behavioral symptoms.

I am getting CP but not until Wednesday.

Should I just stick to copper or can I utilize CP with a 100% water change once it comes in?

acriflavine will not arrive until Tuesday. I am just trying to buy time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not.
I am just winging it with my copper treatment. So far my fish are not showing any real threatening physical or behavioral symptoms.

I am getting CP but not until Wednesday.

Should I just stick to copper or can I utilize CP with a 100% water change once it comes in?

acriflavine will not arrive until Tuesday. I am just trying to buy time.

Being you are dealing with velvet, I would just stick with copper for now. That way there are no possible lapses in treatment coverage by doing a large WC. But for next time CP would be better to use, especially on velvet.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being you are dealing with velvet, I would just stick with copper for now. That way there are no possible lapses in treatment coverage by doing a large WC. But for next time CP would be better to use, especially on velvet.

Okay.

That's what I will do.

Thanks again for the coaching.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update.

I lost one blue cleaner goby. Everything else looks good at the moment. They are all eating decently. Good enough imo.

My venusta angel had several white spots this morning in QT and looks a little shabby. I gave him another FW dip with methelyne blue and a new tank with full copper strength. He is strong and eating. He already looks better. He's the worst looking fish of all and he doesn't look that bad. I have seen much worse (my juvenile clowns).

I'm just maintaining keeping tank temps around 75F and a SG of 1.019

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985

I just wanted to touch base and get your all's input on the situation. I have my fish (dwarf angels, gobies, clown fish orchid dottyback, and banggai cardinals) in QT maintaining a 0.50 ppm copper concentration. Their color looks good and they are just chilling so to speak. Only the clowns appear to eat but they just pick and do not eat aggressively like normal. All fishes breathing and coloration look very normal and they swim well and exhibit normal looking behavior. They just are not eating well and most have stopped eating all together. It's been four full days in QT with copper levels at 0.5 ppm.

I am offering mysis, NLS pellets, and nori.

I perform 20% water changes every two days while siphoning any uneaten food.

Luckily for my fish, they were all very healthy and filled out very well prior to the outbreak. How long can fish sustain copper treatment without eating?

Should I try to move my fish to a non medicated QT around the 10 day mark for observation if they do not eat by then?

So far I feel I have this outbreak managed pretty well and with each passing day I am feeling more and more optimistic about the outcome. I just need some advice when you would move them to a non medicated QT so that they may resume feeding as usual. Copper has definitely suppressed appetite.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985

I just wanted to touch base and get your all's input on the situation. I have my fish (dwarf angels, gobies, clown fish orchid dottyback, and banggai cardinals) in QT maintaining a 0.50 ppm copper concentration. Their color looks good and they are just chilling so to speak. Only the clowns appear to eat but they just pick and do not eat aggressively like normal. All fishes breathing and coloration look very normal and they swim well and exhibit normal looking behavior. They just are not eating well and most have stopped eating all together. It's been four full days in QT with copper levels at 0.5 ppm.

I am offering mysis, NLS pellets, and nori.

I perform 20% water changes every two days while siphoning any uneaten food.

Luckily for my fish, they were all very healthy and filled out very well prior to the outbreak. How long can fish sustain copper treatment without eating?

Should I try to move my fish to a non medicated QT around the 10 day mark for observation if they do not eat by then?

So far I feel I have this outbreak managed pretty well and with each passing day I am feeling more and more optimistic about the outcome. I just need some advice when you would move them to a non medicated QT so that they may resume feeding as usual. Copper has definitely suppressed appetite.

I would typically say to wait the 14 days and move to a new, sterile QT without meds. You could potentially do it at ten days assuming no mistakes were made with cross contamination. A healthy fish can go two weeks without eating before being in serious trouble. However, it would be a good idea to continue trying to tempt them with garlic soaked foods of all kinds. The garlic is meant to entice them to eat when they might not normally want to.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would typically say to wait the 14 days and move to a new, sterile QT without meds. You could potentially do it at ten days assuming no mistakes were made with cross contamination. A healthy fish can go two weeks without eating before being in serious trouble. However, it would be a good idea to continue trying to tempt them with garlic soaked foods of all kinds. The garlic is meant to entice them to eat when they might not normally want to.

Thanks for the response!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^ Agree with the lady

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got yourself a double it sounds like. Hard to tell in the video, but they are covered in something. Wish I could see in person.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back