Need help with fish-in cycling

sturdy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and just added fritz turbo start 900 plus a clown fish to start the nitrogen cycle I would like to know when should I test for ammonia and when should I feed my clownfish I have seachem’s prime just in case things get out of hand I tested for ammonia a hour after putting the clownfish in the tank with the api testing kit and the water is very clear with a hint of green I’m not sure if that is indicating no ammonia or 0.50

image.jpg

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and just added fritz turbo start 900 plus a clown fish to start the nitrogen cycle I would like to know when should I test for ammonia and when should I feed my clownfish I have seachem’s prime just in case things get out of hand I tested for ammonia a hour after putting the clownfish in the tank with the api testing kit and the water is very clear with a hint of green I’m not sure if that is indicating no ammonia or 0.50

image.jpg
to me, that doesnt even look remotely right, regardless of what the reading is. the picture doesnt show any color, not sure about in person, but if what i see is correct, there is something wrong with the test.
i would retest. make sure you shake both regent bottles thoroughly, do the drops for the one, shake the vial, and then do the drops for the other, and shake again. right away, it should start with a yellow color. if you just did all of this in the last day or maybe 2, it may not show anything above 0, and testing this soon may not be worth, but it would be useful to make sure its being done right, so that when you do need to confirm it, you know that the test is working

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test looks like it may have been done wrong, but I can't tell.
I really doubt you have any measurable ammonia if this was all done in the last few days.

What size is your tank?
Did you add ammonia in any way other than adding the one clownfish? I assume not?

Regardless, unless your tank is smaller than 5 gallons, you may never detect ammonia with both the addition of Fritz TurboStart 900 and only one clownfish. The bacteria population from the bottle alone would likely be enough to handle the small amount of ammonia produced by only one clownfish.

I'd wait a day or two before testing for ammonia unless you go ahead now and repeat the initial test to see if you can get it to show a color on the chart.

OP
OP
sturdy

sturdy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
The test looks like it may have been done wrong, but I can't tell.
I really doubt you have any measurable ammonia if this was all done in the last few days.

What size is your tank?
Did you add ammonia in any way other than adding the one clownfish? I assume not?

Regardless, unless your tank is smaller than 5 gallons, you may never detect ammonia with both the addition of Fritz TurboStart 900 and only one clownfish. The bacteria population from the bottle alone would likely be enough to handle the small amount of ammonia produced by only one clownfish.

I'd wait a day or two before testing for ammonia unless you go ahead now and repeat the initial test to see if you can get it to show a color on the chart.
Hey my tank is a fluval evo 13.5 and I added the clown and the turbo start today and I’m guessing there’s no trace of ammonia just yet or maybe the kit is just broken because I keep getting that same ghost like color I have to go to work in a minute do I test it when I get home ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We dont need the kit something is wrong above with it anyway. Fritz can carry the fish’s waste loading, it’s the sole thing the bottle bac was designed to do. Your next step is don’t add any more fish until you’ve read two hours in the disease forum.

simply forget about the cycle, you paid to surpass it, and did. Where you are at is the fish disease analysis point and without a plan, fish will be lost before summer time, unrelated to cycling.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Hey my tank is a fluval evo 13.5 and I added the clown and the turbo start today and I’m guessing there’s no trace of ammonia just yet or maybe the kit is just broken because I keep getting that same ghost like color I have to go to work in a minute do I test it when I get home ?
I think it is safe to leave it for now. If that color is repeated, something seems off with the testing method, since it shows no color even on the chart. It is extremely unlikely that ammonia is high enough to be a problem.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

even if there is no trace ammonia, that test should still be a dull yellow color. to me, it doesnt look like it has any color to it, so to me i think that test is messed up.
but as others mentioned, it is way to early for ammonia to really show up. as brandon mentioned, the turbo start is basically there and should take up any ammonia that does get created.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't skip feeding the fish. Feed at least once a day and avoid leftovers. If you dumped the whole bottle in, it should be ok regardless as fritz turbo is one of the most potent of the bottled bacterias

OP
OP
sturdy

sturdy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't skip feeding the fish. Feed at least once a day and avoid leftovers. If you dumped the whole bottle in, it should be ok regardless as fritz turbo is one of the most potent of the bottled bacterias
Do I feed the fish now I did just get it today from the mail

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

When you have time, can you describe how you did the test? Like what steps you did, i.e. how you got the water, did you shake the bottles, what bottles were added, how long you waited, etc.

OP
OP
sturdy

sturdy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have time, can you describe how you did the test? Like what steps you did, i.e. how you got the water, did you shake the bottles, what bottles were added, how long you waited, etc.
Sure I did the test exactly how it said in the api test kit booklet I added 8 drops of both #1 and #2 ammonia bottles then I shoke the vial and I waited about 5 minutes and I got the water from the tank I tested it one last time and here is the picture with sunlight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 37

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api tests are junk. I can test the same test on 4 vials and have 4 different results. I added ammonia right from the bottle to my tanks to start cycling. Drop in a few pieces of raw shrimp, some turbo start, bacter 7 and and about 1ml of ammonia per 30gal. You'll see your nitrates rise and spike within a week.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I did the test exactly how it said in the api test kit booklet I added 8 drops of both #1 and #2 ammonia bottles then I shoke the vial and I waited about 5 minutes and I got the water from the tank I tested it one last time and here is the picture with sunlight
It’s still not right and impossible to tell if there is ammonia or not.

I would bring it back to the store and ask for a new kit. They can test it themselves if they want to.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api tests are junk. I can test the same test on 4 vials and have 4 different results.
I disagree. I’ve been using them for close to 20 years and I’ve always been able to depend on them to cycle my tanks. I never lost any fish to cycling.

Sure, they’re not the most precise in the world, but if you use them the right way, always the same way, then you get consistent testing.

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any level of testing on any equipment would result in dead fish. I was talking about the accuracy of the tests. Api ammonia test changes colors over the period of a half hour until the cloudy residue settles to the bottom of your test tube. In that 30 minute period the color changes darker and darker then lighter then begins to settle. The fact is that depending on which moment you read that test you determine the color which is constantly changing. As I said they are NOT accurate

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I’ve been using them for close to 20 years and I’ve always been able to depend on them to cycle my tanks. I never lost any fish to cycling.

Sure, they’re not the most precise in the world, but if you use them the right way, always the same way, then you get consistent testing.
I agree with this.

I am consistent with how I perform the tests, and the results always come out the same when I try doing multiple times with the same water sample. I have even done serial dilutions to get a good reading of nitrite for example, and again, the results were as expected.

I see no reason that the API test should not work if done correctly. Sure there can be bad tests, but that applies to every test kit out there. I don't think I have ever seen a testing product that do not have faulty ones here and there.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact is that depending on which moment you read that test you determine the color which is constantly changing. As I said they are NOT accurate
The fact that you say this shows that you don't actually know how the testing works. Yes, it absolutely is supposed to change color over time. That is precisely how the reactions work. That's why it species in the instructions - wait five minutes, then make the reading then and there. Not one minute. Not ten. Definitely not half an hour. Five minutes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back