Need help with loud drain

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone! I needed help with my brothers tank. It is super loud. We don't know why we have tried closing the gate valve but it doesn't really do much. Thank you for all your help! 20201017_011132.jpg 20201017_011135.jpg 20201017_011151.jpg

Attachments

• 20201017_011202.mp4
    13.9 MB
OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also the part that goes into the filter sock has holes on it for some reason thats why there are bubbles coming out

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only overflow drain, or is it the full siphon drain of a multiple drain line system? What does the inside of the overflow box look like? You are obviously getting a lot of air into the drain. I am guessing you just have a open ended pipe in the overflow box that is ingesting air into the drain.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roll up a piece of plastic window screen and put it under that drain. The water will diffuse through it and be quiet. I use it all over the place. Even in my outdoor gutters but I use larger mesh there.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that the only overflow drain, or is it the full siphon drain of a multiple drain line system? What does the inside of the overflow box look like? You are obviously getting a lot of air into the drain. I am guessing you just have a open ended pipe in the overflow box that is ingesting air into the drain.

It is the only drain pipe besides the emergency overflow pipe. Its a straight pipe with a t and a curved pipe. On top of the t there is a little cap with the hole drilled through. I can send pics a little later today. I tried putting my finger over the hole on the cap and it still makes the noise.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roll up a piece of plastic window screen and put it under that drain. The water will diffuse through it and be quiet. I use it all over the place. Even in my outdoor gutters but I use larger mesh there.
Okay that sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. The only weird part is the downward pipe has holes coming out of the side. So water isn't just coming out of the bottom of the pipe it comes out of the sides too. Do you think putting mesh on that would help or just get a new pipe? Thank you for your help

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a second overflow, I would lower this drain so that it is fully submerged and then use the valve to throttle it as a full siphon drain (if you are not already doing so).

If the holes on the side of the bottom of pipe as you describe are above the water line, they will likely suck in air and create more noise. They need to be below the water line or plugged off in some way.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. The only weird part is the downward pipe has holes coming out of the side. So water isn't just coming out of the bottom of the pipe it comes out of the sides too. Do you think putting mesh on that would help or just get a new pipe? Thank you for your help

Roll the screen around the pipe where the holes are but extend the screen down well past the bottom of the pipe into the water. The water will flow off with no splashing.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the only drain pipe besides the emergency overflow pipe. Its a straight pipe with a t and a curved pipe. On top of the t there is a little cap with the hole drilled through. I can send pics a little later today. I tried putting my finger over the hole on the cap and it still makes the noise.
Cut a 6" piece of 1/4" tubing and stick it into the hole on top of the drain until it is about 2" into the water. This should break the siphon and quiet down the overflow. Move it up and down until you find the sweet spot.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back