Need help with my Montipora and Euphyllia

juliosoto

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2025
Messages
11
Reaction score
27
Location
austria
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, how are you doing?

I need a bit of help because I’m worried about a couple of things happening in my tank.

I’ve noticed that my Montipora has some kind of white mucus on top of it, and I’m not sure what it is or if I should be worried. Also, one of the heads of my Euphyllia has completely died, and I don’t really know what that means or what I should do about it.

I’ve tested my water at home and everything seems fine, but just to be sure I’ve also sent a sample to the lab to check if there’s something I might be missing.

A few months ago, I added two peppermint shrimps to get rid of Aiptasia, and it actually disappeared completely from the tank. But now I’m a bit concerned that maybe the shrimps could be going after other corals, or if this might be caused by something else.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

I’m attaching some pictures below so you can see what I mean.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help! 🙏

IMG_6198.jpeg IMG_6197.jpeg
 
Hi guys, how are you doing?

I need a bit of help because I’m worried about a couple of things happening in my tank.

I’ve noticed that my Montipora has some kind of white mucus on top of it, and I’m not sure what it is or if I should be worried. Also, one of the heads of my Euphyllia has completely died, and I don’t really know what that means or what I should do about it.

I’ve tested my water at home and everything seems fine, but just to be sure I’ve also sent a sample to the lab to check if there’s something I might be missing.

A few months ago, I added two peppermint shrimps to get rid of Aiptasia, and it actually disappeared completely from the tank. But now I’m a bit concerned that maybe the shrimps could be going after other corals, or if this might be caused by something else.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

I’m attaching some pictures below so you can see what I mean.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help! 🙏

IMG_6198.jpeg IMG_6197.jpeg
Hello, im sorry for what you're dealing with. While im very happy the shrimp took out your aiptasia. This was exactly what my euphyllia began to look like, when I added a peppermint. I never saw him bother the corals, but several head soft euphyllia and a couple other corals began to look just like yours. One night I finally saw it. He had pryed open the mouth of my largest hammer and was eating out of it. I removed the shrimp and everything recovered. It was 100% the shrimp in my case.
 
Tough when things are fine until they’re not! First, my experience with a peppermint shrimp was good and no corral munching but I know there are different kinds so I can’t say that isn’t what is causing the frogspawn to lose a head. In the Montipora, White slime on a Montipora coral can be normal mucus or possibly a bacterial infection. Knowing your parameters would help to address possible issues there. Also what is your flow and lighting like? Everything actually looks good so hopefully just a normal mucus!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new