Need help with new royal gramma

Fumbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should have acclimated better so I probably won’t do it like this again.

I bought a royal gramma from a lfs(not actually local, but brought it home with an insulated cooler, about 5 hours). I did a temperature acclimation only and it’s been sitting at the bottom of the tank breathing fairly regularly with occasional quick movements. It’s been like this for about an hour and I want to know if I should take it out and put it back with some water it came with and do a better job acclimating or just ride it out. It’s been about an hour.

I hope I’m not killing this fish, but I thought I’d wait and see for a bit because I’ve heard they can act weird when introduced to a new tank.

Thanks in advance

image.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should have acclimated better so I probably won’t do it like this again.

I bought a royal gramma from a lfs(not actually local, but brought it home with an insulated cooler, about 5 hours). I did a temperature acclimation only and it’s been sitting at the bottom of the tank breathing fairly regularly with occasional quick movements. It’s been like this for about an hour and I want to know if I should take it out and put it back with some water it came with and do a better job acclimating or just ride it out. It’s been about an hour.

I hope I’m not killing this fish, but I thought I’d wait and see for a bit because I’ve heard they can act weird when introduced to a new tank.

Thanks in advance

image.jpg
I would leave him alone. They are very hardy. I bet he will be ok.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely do not put it back in the bag water! If it’s already in shock or struggling with parameter changes that will almost certainly kill it. Leave it and watch it, hopefully it’ll pull through.

It looks like you put him in a display with other fish with the lights on. That’s contributing to his stress. Cut the lights out now, let him rest!

If he’s alive and still struggling in the morning you could quarantine it using the same water it’s in... Keep us posted and we can try to help.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is upright so that is a good sign. Better to let him acclimate in dim light or even no light overnight.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the salinity waa that he came from vs. what your salinity is? In most cases that isn't enough to kill a fish.

He just went through an ordeal. Capture, transport, new tank. As others said, cut the lights and see how he looks tomorrow.

OP
OP
Fumbles

Fumbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses everyone. I had a busy day, but am able to update now.

Everything seems to be going just fine now. It disappeared after the lights went off and I found it hiding in a cave on the other side of the tank. It’s been there since but I can see it poking it’s head out. I spot fed the area and it approved so I think all is well.

Turning off the lights was probably what helped the most. I keep my salinity at 1.025 and I was surprised to see that the water from the lfs was 1.021, so I’m sure that didn’t help either.

Lesson learned

image.jpg

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS and shipped fish usually are in lower salinity than natural seawater. Helps control disease, is cheaper, and (depending on how extreme) is thought to be easier on the fish (of course this is absolutely not true of inverts!).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back