Need help with plumbing!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone! I just bought the WB marine X 110.4 and I am planning to upgrade the return pump plumbing to a manifold. I I have never plumbed anything before and am really struggling to understand what I need. I basically just want to go from my variouS-4 pump straight up hit a 90 or if you think something else is better than run a pipe straight with 3 ball valves then up to the bulk head to the tank what all would I need? Also, should I run soft tubing from pump and the to piping so its less noisy?

Thank you everyone!!!

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out some of these for ideas.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I just bought the WB marine X 110.4 and I am planning to upgrade the return pump plumbing to a manifold. I I have never plumbed anything before and am really struggling to understand what I need. I basically just want to go from my variouS-4 pump straight up hit a 90 or if you think something else is better than run a pipe straight with 3 ball valves then up to the bulk head to the tank what all would I need? Also, should I run soft tubing from pump and the to piping so its less noisy?

Thank you everyone!!!
On your pipe from the return pump, BRS suggests you use silicone piping. I found this video very helpful:

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The idea of using soft tubing right out of the pump I believe came mostly from using ac pumps in the past. They had a tendency to vibrate a little so a short section of soft tubing stopped the vibration at the pump.
Also it was easier to use a hose barb, soft tubing and clamps, then to match pump output to pvc piping.
With the newer dc pumps the need to use soft tubing has IMO been unnecessary, atleast for me.
I've used the VarioS-4 pump on 2 separate tanks with pvc pipe and it was very quiet.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The idea of using soft tubing right out of the pump I believe came mostly from using ac pumps in the past. They had a tendency to vibrate a little so a short section of soft tubing stopped the vibration at the pump.
Also it was easier to use a hose barb, soft tubing and clamps, then to match pump output to pvc piping.
With the newer dc pumps the need to use soft tubing has IMO been unnecessary, atleast for me.
I've used the VarioS-4 pump on 2 separate tanks with pvc pipe and it was very quiet.
Okay awesome thats what I was wondering! Also can I have everything be 1 in? I was looking at have the gate valves and all the piping and fittings to be 1 inch since the VarioS-4 uses a 1in would that be smart or is there something else that should be done?

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would do 1" all the way.
Awesome thank you so much you are a life saver! I was pulling my hair trying to figure this out lol. Do you think the various 4 is enough to run manifold and push water to my tank its the water box marine x 110.4 I just wanna run a uv and maybe a refugium reactor one day

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The VarioS-4 might be a little lacking trying to do 3 functions.
I would want 4x to 5x the tank volume just for return purposes.
I'm just guessing but after head loss you might be running the pump in excess of 75%-80%.
Not much left for other functions, unless you find a uv that is flow rated for the same amount you want for return flow and plumb it into the return line. Which will probably add more head loss.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Instead of a macro reactor I would consider just a flow through refugium in the sump. Takes advantage of existing flow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back