Critique my First Time Plumbing Design 200g Reef

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and had a wonderful time. I've been trying to design this my reef tank for a year now, I went big and I am struggling with plumbing. I have like 500 tabs open in my PC and I am starting to get really dizzy trying to incorporate everything. I am doing the plumbing by my self for the first time. Lots of firsts here tbh.. I need some guidance. I think I have the drain nailed down, 3 drains from drilled modular marine overflow in the middle of the tank with one gate valve. I am confused with the return, I want to include: Manifold for future reactors, Future chiller in-case I need it, the Lifeguard UV 90W, Some type of auto water change system for the future also. I have a Sicce SDC 9.0 pump. Powerful pump should be able to handle all these solo right? I am also down to get another pump for the manifold or chiller if needed.

Quick questions:
- Not sure if drains need to be behind returns of in front, it looks a bit crowded there. I may need to raise the manifold very high and a bit forward to make space for the drains. I have space under the tank, I have a 40in high stand and a 18in high sump.

- UV has to be plumbed inline through main return right? I've seen some people plumb with a T and half goes to main display and half goes back to sump with a manifold, that's not efficient right? I am doing everything from scratch so I have total control.

- Chiller better NOT to be plumbed directly to Display right? I've read that the chiller is better plumbed back into sump so cold water cant be dumped directly into the corals. Will this setup I have work? Its not directly under sump and within a cabinet on the right.

- I want to be able to do water changes more easily. Not necessarily auto water changes but I don't want to carry buckets. I have a window nearby with a drain, I am thinking of running a pipe (from where though, take a T from the return?) directly to the drain. I can run a valve from the return pump to block water going into display tank and open into drain.
The problem lies with getting the saltwater back in. I have no space for a giant mixing station near the reef tank, not sure how to plumb water back in. I can use gravity and make a mixing station outside where the window drain area is, but I am not sure I wanna store water subjected to the elements of cold and heat of the outdoors. Maybe I can just settle for easy drain but still mix a brute trashcan and haul it to the tank. Another idea I had is I can do a mixing station in the laundry room nearby and use a garden hose to fill? its not close to be honest but I can get like a 20ft hose and do a permanent mixing station. Only problem with this is that I need to get another powerful pump to pump the water back in. Its not an Auto water change but at least I don't have to carry buckets.

Any plumbing advice? I am read hundred of posts and taken into account the general advice, lots of unions, dry fit first, extra fittings just in case, hanger to hold the pipes, drain bigger than return.

Any help would be appreciated.

Plumbing first run.jpg

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thought out, plan layouts change a lot once you start working on it, stay on your plan even if it takes many trips to the plumbing store and a longer timeline. make sure you spend smart money on true ball valves where maintenance equipment is plumbed in and will need serviced. Think of ever possible scenario of failed equipment and make sure there is a way to stop water and not have to use a Sawzall to fix your problem. Good luck, start a Reef2Reef build thread.

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Well thought out, plan layouts change a lot once you start working on it, stay on your plan even if it takes many trips to the plumbing store and a longer timeline. make sure you spend smart money on true ball valves where maintenance equipment is plumbed in and will need serviced. Think of ever possible scenario of failed equipment and make sure there is a way to stop water and not have to use a Sawzall to fix your problem. Good luck, start a Reef2Reef build thread.
Thanks a lot, will definitely start a thread before I start plumbing. I spent a good 6 months just buying equipment and deciding on the perfect size for the space I have. After months of works with a tank builder, I finally have the tank Infront of me. Albeit empty but hopefully that's gonna change soon.

Got it, true ball valves so I could remove anything and everything for maintenance. Yeah I definitely don't wanna be cutting anything. I am taking my sweet time plumbing because I definitely don't wanna mess up the 100 dollar gate valve :)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot, will definitely start a thread before I start plumbing. I spent a good 6 months just buying equipment and deciding on the perfect size for the space I have. After months of works with a tank builder, I finally have the tank Infront of me. Albeit empty but hopefully that's gonna change soon.

Got it, true ball valves so I could remove anything and everything for maintenance. Yeah I definitely don't wanna be cutting anything. I am taking my sweet time plumbing because I definitely don't wanna mess up the 100 dollar gate valve :)
if you want true union ball valves contact me. I have a source, mine went from $120.00 to $43 for the exact same Spears 1- 1/2" true union ball valve. you pay shipping and anything you need is yours. I have no interest in making money, just want to help. Send list, I'll send your cost. No strings attached.

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
if you want true union ball valves contact me. I have a source, mine went from $120.00 to $43 for the exact same Spears 1- 1/2" true union ball valve. you pay shipping and anything you need is yours. I have no interest in making money, just want to help. Send list, I'll send your cost. No strings attached.
Thanks a lot, I will let you know if I need them. Only problem is that I am not in the US. So shipping will be expensive. I will try to find them locally if not I will contact you. Thanks again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back