Need help with Red Dragon 3 return pump

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing a water change today and shut my return pump off like I always do. While it was off I decided to put on one of those CGFI outlets that plugs into the regular outlet. When I plugged the pump in and turned it back on it was dead. I also have one other thing plugged into same out let and it worked fine. Just my return pump will not come on again. I tried plugging it into another outlet and still nothing. I don't know if it had anythink to do with plugging it into the CGFI or not but seams weird that since I did that it no longer works. The pump is about 6 years old. Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

In the mean time I took heater out of the sump and put it in the tank so the fish have heat, and have the powerheads running.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that it's 6 years old, when was the last time you gave it a vinegar soak cleaning? It's possible there is just enough "stuff" in the pump that allowed it to run, but once you shut it off, it doesn't have enough torque to start up against some extra friction. If it's out of the tank, can you plug it in and try moving the impeller with something other than your finger! I always use a small wooden BBQ skewer.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of that and did do a cleaning when it wouldn't come on again. This is a DC pump with a controller and the controller is what is dead. Like it blew a fuse or the mother board went out or something like that.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I talked to the Royal Exclusiv rep in Florida and he says the controller is the problem, probably a power surge when I plugged it back in. They have discontinued this model and I have to buy a whole new $800+ pump again! Although he said he would give me a 20% discount, but I do have to send the old one back. Not sure if I want to go this route again or buy a different brand. Maybe a Vectra L1?? Red Dragon is pressure rated pump while the Vectra is not. The new Red Dragon would be plug and play as the Vectra would mean redoing some plumbing to make it work on existing plumbing. With the discount it would be a differenct of $205.

What would you do? Thoughts, pro and cons? The money isn't the issue, but makes me mad I have to buy a new one when these are suppose to be top of the line pumps! The new ones do have the disconnect connections from the controller so if it ever happened again I can buy just controller or pump, which ever the case may be. (unless the discontinue it again) :rolleyes: I need to decide quickly so i I can get my tank filtering again.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned to get one of those for my next build, but that sounds like a long term support policy I can’t get behind. Paying more for durability on a long term basis only works out well when parts are also available on a long term basis.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I talked to the Royal Exclusiv rep in Florida and he says the controller is the problem, probably a power surge when I plugged it back in. They have discontinued this model and I have to buy a whole new $800+ pump again! Although he said he would give me a 20% discount, but I do have to send the old one back. Not sure if I want to go this route again or buy a different brand. Maybe a Vectra L1?? Red Dragon is pressure rated pump while the Vectra is not. The new Red Dragon would be plug and play as the Vectra would mean redoing some plumbing to make it work on existing plumbing. With the discount it would be a differenct of $205.

What would you do? Thoughts, pro and cons? The money isn't the issue, but makes me mad I have to buy a new one when these are suppose to be top of the line pumps! The new ones do have the disconnect connections from the controller so if it ever happened again I can buy just controller or pump, which ever the case may be. (unless the discontinue it again) :rolleyes: I need to decide quickly so i I can get my tank filtering again.
I bought a RD3 that was going to be discontinued too.
But I knew that going into it.
Hopefully mine lasts longer than 6 years. ( 4 years so far)

How long has your pump been discontinued?
How long has it been since the warranty expired?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this pump for 5 years. I don't know when they discontinued it. I think it has a 1 year warranty. I did go ahead and order a new 100 watt pressure rated pump from them. Not that I need a "pressured rated" pump but it has the same size outlet so it will be plug and play. The "flow" pump is same price but has a bigger outlet so I'd have to redo some plumbing. The new pumps have disconnect cords so if the controller goes out again I can buy just a controller and not a whole pump. It is shipping from Germany and should be here Monday. So my tank has been without a skimmer or any filtration this whole time. Their customer service had been great and he did say the controller is what has problems sometimes not the actual pumps.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had this pump for 5 years. I don't know when they discontinued it. I think it has a 1 year warranty. I did go ahead and order a new 100 watt pressure rated pump from them. Not that I need a "pressured rated" pump but it has the same size outlet so it will be plug and play. The "flow" pump is same price but has a bigger outlet so I'd have to redo some plumbing. The new pumps have disconnect cords so if the controller goes out again I can buy just a controller and not a whole pump. It is shipping from Germany and should be here Monday. So my tank has been without a skimmer or any filtration this whole time. Their customer service had been great and he did say the controller is what has problems sometimes not the actual pumps.
I probably would have done the same.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back