Need help with return line sizing

Zwogle

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2016
Messages
167
Reaction score
164
Location
Anchorage
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm "upgrading" my all in one into a more traditional tank with a sump, the tank is 30 gallons with about 10-15 gallons in the sump. I am planning on using doc-line for the return, but i'm not sure if I should go with the 1/2" or 3/4". Looking at the kits on glass-holes.com the 1/2" is up to 478gph and the 3/4" is 1140gph.
So even at 10x flow (which will probably be closer to 6x) the 1/2" should be fine, but should I just go with the 3/4" to avoid any issues?
If it makes any difference it will be a peninsula tank, with the overflow and return on the same side.

For the overflow I am using a Modular Marine https://modularmarine.com/collectio...-low-profile-overflow-box-with-removable-weir
Return Pump is a Jebao DCT-400 which will be running at a pretty low power setting.
 
I'm "upgrading" my all in one into a more traditional tank with a sump, the tank is 30 gallons with about 10-15 gallons in the sump. I am planning on using doc-line for the return, but i'm not sure if I should go with the 1/2" or 3/4". Looking at the kits on glass-holes.com the 1/2" is up to 478gph and the 3/4" is 1140gph.
So even at 10x flow (which will probably be closer to 6x) the 1/2" should be fine, but should I just go with the 3/4" to avoid any issues?
If it makes any difference it will be a peninsula tank, with the overflow and return on the same side.

For the overflow I am using a Modular Marine https://modularmarine.com/collectio...-low-profile-overflow-box-with-removable-weir
Return Pump is a Jebao DCT-400 which will be running at a pretty low power setting.
I would go with the 3/4" for the lower head losses.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new