Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting a new tank and have got some rock from a friend tearing down a tank and I bought some of the dry "live rock" from this place in Florida. And I have some that has been sitting in my backyard for a year. Can all of this go into a new tank to cycle together or should I not put some of it in. The live from tank is in a bucket of salt water for the past 5 days what should I do with that till I can scape the Florida rock is not here yet. And I was going to soak the back yard in citric acid to clean before putting in. Any suggestions would help thanks so much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I am starting a new tank and have got some rock from a friend tearing down a tank and I bought some of the dry "live rock" from this place in Florida. And I have some that has been sitting in my backyard for a year. Can all of this go into a new tank to cycle together or should I not put some of it in. The live from tank is in a bucket of salt water for the past 5 days what should I do with that till I can scape the Florida rock is not here yet. And I was going to soak the back yard in citric acid to clean before putting in. Any suggestions would help thanks so much.
Submerge the entire rock in saltwater with a 1.021 - 1.025 gravity. Heat water to 80 degrees Fahrenheit to expedite the process. Keep the curing container away from direct lighting and completely change the water at least once a week. Scrub the rock to remove unwanted organisms. When the water chemistry tests zero for nitrite and ammonia, it’s ready to go in your tank.

OP
OP
Erikhsf

Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 buckets full now I put
Submerge the entire rock in saltwater with a 1.021 - 1.025 gravity. Heat water to 80 degrees Fahrenheit to expedite the process. Keep the curing container away from direct lighting and completely change the water at least once a week. Scrub the rock to remove unwanted organisms. When the water chemistry tests zero for nitrite and ammonia, it’s ready to go in your tank.
So I have the 2 buckets full of rock curing at 80. I was planning on breaking apart a lot of this rock to build a crazy scape. My tank is brand new and I have been scrubbing the live stuff I got can't I just build the scape and cure it in the tank with no lite for a few weeks. Or should I wait another month to cure it in the buckets before building?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have 2 buckets full now I put

So I have the 2 buckets full of rock curing at 80. I was planning on breaking apart a lot of this rock to build a crazy scape. My tank is brand new and I have been scrubbing the live stuff I got can't I just build the scape and cure it in the tank with no lite for a few weeks. Or should I wait another month to cure it in the buckets before building?
You should be safe to proceed with placement

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back