Need help with Tangs in QT, not looking good

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dose are you using for the metro? It should be o.k. if you are using the label instructions.

Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dose are you using for the metro? It should be o.k. if you are using the label instructions.

Jay
I was dosing and completed 2 weeks of Metro at the recommended 2 level spoons per gallon of tank water at the same time I ended my last round of Copper. My understanding is Metro is more for treating Brooklynellosis, which is the reason I was quarantining them in the first place. They're not showing signs of Brook, so trying to decide if the better approach is to observe now while treating for Velvet, and if necessary, start dosing Metro.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing and completed 2 weeks of Metro at the recommended 2 level spoons per gallon of tank water at the same time I ended my last round of Copper. My understanding is Metro is more for treating Brooklynellosis, which is the reason I was quarantining them in the first place. They're not showing signs of Brook, so trying to decide if the better approach is to observe now while treating for Velvet, and if necessary, start dosing Metro.
Metronidazole is an old school antiprotozoal, will work to some degree on all of these, though I’ve not had good luck treating Cryptocaryon/ich in the past. I’d be inclined to just go with copper now....
Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is an old school antiprotozoal, will work to some degree on all of these, though I’ve not had good luck treating Cryptocaryon/ich in the past. I’d be inclined to just go with copper now....
Jay
It's been about 68hrs (Monday evening around 7pm EST) that I dosed 2.0ppm Copper Power into the Sailfin and Purple's QT tank to address Velvet. They're still alive and ate a little this morning. They're predominantly swimming into the current now and breathing very heavily; the Purple is sometimes scratching on the PVC. I have not attempted to treat for any infections, but, can you take a look at the videos and see what you think regarding whether I should be giving medicine for infection?

Typically with Velvet, is it a waiting game or is there more I can be doing at the moment? I have not been performing FW dips as I feel like that is more stressful for them....although would FW dips help with eradicating the parasites or is it more for their comfort if they're scratching a lot?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I’m still at work, so can’t see the videos on my phone. I have a late night event, so won’t be home for another five hours, so I’ll defer to the others, I don’t want to delay things!
Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I’m still at work, so can’t see the videos on my phone. I have a late night event, so won’t be home for another five hours, so I’ll defer to the others, I don’t want to delay things!
Jay
I've never had to deal with a fish that had marine velvet nor a bacterial infection. Does the reddish snout indicate as such? Or is that part of the Velvet?

If I do need to treat with Kanaplex and Furan-2, would I follow the dosage on each box?

20201001_173033.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be secondary bacterial infection, or primary from the parasites themselves. The fish’s HLLE looks a little worse in this shot than on Monday’s. Yes - you want to follow the dose on the meds, little can be gained by trying to tweak a dosage on the fly.
Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just performed a 5 minute FW dip on both, hoping this will ease their suffering and help them get through. Took some additional pictures of post dip.

I agree that the Sailfins HLLE looks worse. I guess once they start eating aggressively again, lots of Selcon, not sure there is much else I can do for that.

20201001_181219.jpg
20201001_181048.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just avoid using carbon in tanks with HLLE sensitive species, or if you have to, use pelleted carbon and rinse it well.

Did you see anything fall off in the dip that could have been a fluke?

The post-dip shots are showing more general body discoloration, did that go away or does it still look like that?

Jay

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Hanna checker. I also had HLLE develop on my purple tang from copper power qt. My fish did not make it. However my yellow and sail fin did. Good luck you will see results in a few more days.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just avoid using carbon in tanks with HLLE sensitive species, or if you have to, use pelleted carbon and rinse it well.

Did you see anything fall off in the dip that could have been a fluke?

The post-dip shots are showing more general body discoloration, did that go away or does it still look like that?

Jay
Regarding potential for flukes unfortunately the bucket I was using was white, but, I did see some "stuff" in the bucket, so it's possible.

With respect to his discoloration, this is what he looks like now. Whenever I dip him in chemical baths or FW, he gets that discoloration and then regains his original look.

20201002_110234.jpg
20201002_110258.jpg
20201002_110204.jpg

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Hanna checker. I also had HLLE develop on my purple tang from copper power qt. My fish did not make it. However my yellow and sail fin did. Good luck you will see results in a few more days.
Hanna checker is out for delivery today!

Do you know what your Purple Tang succumbed to? Infection? Asphyxiation? Starvation?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing some slight HILLE development as I have seen in my own tanks when the fish have been exposed to high amounts of activated carbon. Both freshwater and saltwater fish have activated carbon as a cause of HILLE. Beware of HILLE it is what causes many failures with long term tang success.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing some slight HILLE development as I have seen in my own tanks when the fish have been exposed to high amounts of activated carbon. Both freshwater and saltwater fish have activated carbon as a cause of HILLE. Beware of HILLE it is what causes many failures with long term tang success.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins are tanks. Keep at it, he'll be fine. He's actually looking better I think.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..jesus surviving a battle with velvet for this long.. lol
But I also had a Sailfin do the same thing. Crazyness

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..jesus surviving a battle with velvet for this long.. lol
But I also had a Sailfin do the same thing. Crazyness
Actually, he came out of the tank a month ago for Brook. He went through 14 days Cu treatment, and on the other end he got Velvet. I'm just going to go with the full 30 days of Cu now...

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I verified Cu levels with the Hanna checker I just received, first test 1.82ppm, second 1.80ppm. Looks like either my calculations were low to begin with OR I'm dealing with some absorption (although I do not have any rock or sand in the tank). Or can the presence of the antibiotic making the water yellowish skew the results?

This goes back to WHAT is considered therapeutic levels? Do I need to bump this up to 2.0ppm and then restart my 30 day window?

Seeing as these fish are already stressed and not eating, do I risk bumping it up to 2.0ppm like I originally was shooting for?

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I verified Cu levels with the Hanna checker I just received, first test 1.82ppm, second 1.80ppm. Looks like either my calculations were low to begin with OR I'm dealing with some absorption (although I do not have any rock or sand in the tank). Or can the presence of the antibiotic making the water yellowish skew the results?

This goes back to WHAT is considered therapeutic levels? Do I need to bump this up to 2.0ppm and then restart my 30 day window?

Seeing as these fish are already stressed and not eating, do I risk bumping it up to 2.0ppm like I originally was shooting for?

According to the following article, you should have started with a freshwater dip for relief, followed by a 90-minute bath of ruby reef rally, then treat at 1.75 ppm copper. Considering you skipped the second step I'm not sure what to say. I'm assuming you should keep the copper at those levels for now. I'd definitely read the following article if I was in your shoes.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker is out for delivery today!

Do you know what your Purple Tang succumbed to? Infection? Asphyxiation? Starvation?

My purple literally freaked out and was porpusing out of the water and then died. He was a couple weeks into copper power. I had him for years and stupidly added some new fish. Total rookie move on my end and lost a great purple I had for years. He hated the qt tank after living in a big reef tank. I will never add anything else unless it’s qt’d.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back