Need help with this tank

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I apologize for the weird name I used to be on this account when I was younger

so Im a freshwater guy and I don’t know much about saltwater.I’ve been taking care of a saltwater tank at about 125 gallons for spare change ,and I’m getting kinda overwhelmed.

so I took over when the guy that used to do this aquarium moved and the tank is mostly empty it has a coral beauty and two clowns I think

so bristleworms (I think) have been a major issue ,along with algae growth getting out of hand. The algae is long and very difficult to remove with a toothbrush

I have the owners of the aquarium breathing down my neck to stock it. I’m not sure the aquarium is in shape for that

just looking for general help and suggestions I don’t know anything about saltwater

Snuffy The Seal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I apologize for the weird name I used to be on this account when I was younger

so Im a freshwater guy and I don’t know much about saltwater.I’ve been taking care of a saltwater tank at about 125 gallons for spare change ,and I’m getting kinda overwhelmed.

so I took over when the guy that used to do this aquarium moved and the tank is mostly empty it has a coral beauty and two clowns I think

so bristleworms (I think) have been a major issue ,along with algae growth getting out of hand. The algae is long and very difficult to remove with a toothbrush

I have the owners of the aquarium breathing down my neck to stock it. I’m not sure the aquarium is in shape for that

just looking for general help and suggestions I don’t know anything about saltwater
need pics for algae ID. bristleworms really arent that bad unless youve been stung just trying to clean.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need pics for algae ID. bristleworms really arent that bad unless youve been stung just trying to clean.

that’s the best I can get sorry

image.jpg

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm are a controversial topic. You may enjoy doing some more reading on that matter. I ask the owner of the LFS to throw some in a bag when I see them somewhere he can reach....

Algae is unsightly, but not strictly an indicator that the tank is unsuitable for fish. Best thing imo is to pull what you can here and there, toss in some turbo and cerith snails, and take your time researching the type of algae, what causes it, and how to treat the different causes.

Omarons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So , main diffrencd from the freshwater hobby , is that with saltwater you need to look for Alkalinity calcium, magnesium and phosphates . Phosphates is what is causing the algea . When you say that the algea is hard to remove , that means that there is a lot of phosphates in your tank . Try to do water changes , or run GFO to bring the phosphates down , then remove them by hand or with a toothbrush . And do remove them from the tank , or else they will die and increase your phosphates all over again

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Bristleworm are a controversial topic. You may enjoy doing some more reading on that matter. I ask the owner of the LFS to throw some in a bag when I see them somewhere he can reach....

Algae is unsightly, but not strictly an indicator that the tank is unsuitable for fish. Best thing imo is to pull what you can here and there, toss in some turbo and cerith snails, and take your time researching the type of algae, what causes it, and how to treat the different causes.
ok I’ll make sure to order the snails is there any generally hardy fish you would recommend

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any clean up crew at all? I would go buy like 20-30 snails and let em have at it. Give em a few weeks and it will be way better.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So , main diffrencd from the freshwater hobby , is that with saltwater you need to look for Alkalinity calcium, magnesium and phosphates . Phosphates is what is causing the algea . When you say that the algea is hard to remove , that means that there is a lot of phosphates in your tank . Try to do water changes , or run GFO to bring the phosphates down , then remove them by hand or with a toothbrush . And do remove them from the tank , or else they will die and increase your phosphates all over again
Idk what gfo is sorry

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None at all

Yeah, I would definitely start there. 30 Snails, a mixed assortment of Turbo Snails and Trochus snails and you're set. That is honestly probably one of your biggest problems.

What is your light cycle? I would lower your light hours to eight or under. And if its by a window where stray light is getting on it, definitely find a way to block it. That plus the snails will help tremendously.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see about running lights a couple hours less it’s not my place so I can’t block the sunlight I’ll be sure to order the snails is there any fish you could recommend for a beginner

it used to have snails I think but the old guy had a eel in here

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand needing to please your client but you’ll just have to discuss with them that you need another month to get it stocked. Get the clean up crew in there to get it looking good and then in a few weeks add one fish every week or so.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand needing to please your client but you’ll just have to discuss with them that you need another month to get it stocked. Get the clean up crew in there to get it looking good and then in a few weeks add one fish every week or so.
Thank you I plan on doing that i I’ll try and order the crew tonight is there any reputable places your recommend to order from

the closest place to me is 4 hours round trip and I can’t afford to make that trip weekly

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo can be super helpful, or super harmful. Probably not a good tool for someone who isnt a fanatic (yet). Rapidly depleting all of the phosphate from a system can spur other types of nuisance algae.

Saltwater fish is usually pretty hardy. Many of them you need to try to kill. The question is what the owner likes and wants to do with the system. Tossing a trigger (super hardy) into a future reef system is asking for trouble.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really all they are asking for is for color and for them to be oIt frequently enough to be seen beyond that its up to me

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really all they are asking for is for color and for them to be oIt frequently enough to be seen beyond that its up to me

125g is big enough for a Tang or two. Tangs are great clean up crew and they come in a huge range of colors. Just research the species that stand out to make sure they're compatible with a 125g.

Look at some fairy Wrasse. Fairy Wrasse are compatible with a wide range of systems and somewhat more hardy than average.

Avoid damsels, hogfish, frogfish, and puffers. At least to start.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125g is big enough for a Tang or two. Tangs are great clean up crew and they come in a huge range of colors. Just research the species that stand out to make sure they're compatible with a 125g.

Look at some fairy Wrasse. Fairy Wrasse are compatible with a wide range of systems and somewhat more hardy than average.

Avoid damsels, hogfish, frogfish, and puffers. At least to start.
Would a tang be ok with the clowns and the coral beauty angel?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, normally that’s an okay combo. Are they okay spending money? If so then you should source something from marine collectors so that you don’t have to worry about quarantine.

For that tank I would do:

2x clowns (orange)
1x coral beauty (purple?)
1x yellow tang (yellow)
1x blue tang (blue)
1x flame hawk (red)
1x wrasse

that will give your clients a very colorful tank, and you’ll have a few guys that pick algae and pests.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back