Need help with what’s causing this

Blaine.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F4E28FF-2F9E-4017-A878-13BD2492DCC1.jpeg
Need help with this I have plenty of flow running a skimmer 24/7 and stopped feeding flake food now only feeding mysis shrimp very little

OP
OP
B

Blaine.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like sediment barely sticking to the surface I’ve scraped some off with a toothbrush some of it is loose some of it sticks to the rock

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's soft and white as appears in the pic, my first guess would be a bacterial bloom. If you recently added a bacterial product, dosed carbon/biopellets, or something else that would boost the bacterial population, that can easily happen. These blooms go away on their own if you stop adding bacteria and or carbon sources and a minor one isn't going to do anything bad. A major one can clog up equipment and look like you got slimed from something in Ghostbusters. All that being said, it could be something else. How old is your tank? What are your parameters and system details?

OP
OP
B

Blaine.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's soft and white as appears in the pic, my first guess would be a bacterial bloom. If you recently added a bacterial product, dosed carbon/biopellets, or something else that would boost the bacterial population, that can easily happen. These blooms go away on their own if you stop adding bacteria and or carbon sources and a minor one isn't going to do anything bad. A major one can clog up equipment and look like you got slimed from something in Ghostbusters. All that being said, it could be something else. How old is your tank? What are your parameters and system details?
I did recently start dosing coral trace colors Red Sea and started feeding my corals ab+ about 4 times a week and the Nitrate and phosphate control all from red sea that prob caused a bloom the tank also is still going through the ugly stage it is almost a year old

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a lot of coral, you don't need to dose stuff at this stage---maybe a little bit of that ab+ you have a few times a week. Just doing 10% weekly water changes will work wonders

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 71 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back