Need help with your aquascape?

Leta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took your advice and this is what we did :)
IMG_20180528_074432.jpeg
IMG_20180528_074436.jpeg
IMG_20180528_074439.jpeg
IMG_20180528_074443.jpeg

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some help with my scape- I haven't been paying much attention and it has gotten a bit messy. Thanks!
(My tang is a bit of an attention hog)
a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG
d.JPG
e.JPG

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all I suggest getting rock away from the front glass.

The easiest way would be a two islands layout, one big and one small.

Can you get the sarcophytons together in a single structure? 2 right next to each other and the other slightly appart.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have different rock types in there. You can try grouping them by types so that they don't clash that much against each other.

You can try just 2 groups.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres mine... Not looking great at the moment
What you have here is 3 short mountains. All are the same height. They are different shapes which is good. If you can afford more rock you could make it look great. Take the middle mountain and make it shorter. Add rock to the right side mountain so it goes up to about 3/4 the height of your tank. Add some rock in between the middle and right side. You are looking to slope the middle towards the right side so your eye will follow it up the hill. There are other options if this wont work.

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be considering coral placement & grow out as well? That's been my struggle. I can always come up with a good looking rock layout that avoids the 'stacks' or 'piles' pitfalls, but thinking through the future of some larger corals is tough. Especially when future decisions about corals may be a complete unknown.
Argh, and I hate the photo reflections! Probably not the best time of day for photos:

fullsizeoutput_3b34.jpeg IMG_8357.JPG IMG_8358.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8361.JPG
BEAUTIFUL

Jrcjr5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ardeus - This is my first time posting, but I have been following your thread with both great interest and admiration. I am new (or at least upgrading from a 55 gal FOWLR) to reef keeping and have went with an unusual 260 gal corner pentagon shape. I would welcome your thoughts on aquascape design as I plan for this to be a mixed reef setup with mostly tangs, wrasses, etc. I really like the depth, dimension and movement you have created in your tank and would like to mimic the “valley” you created as it seems to fit my tank dimensions. The tank is 44” in both directions from the back corner, 24” deep overflow to center glass front and 30” high.

Very grateful to you for your willingness to share your expertise with us on this board.

9BDCE157-0B16-4402-8429-0E7F5EEAFF37.jpeg
0536A4BE-8936-4432-A163-4BE03A5A6094.jpeg
CEF14772-DCE9-437A-9F77-F392B9E6350B.jpeg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ardeus - This is my first time posting, but I have been following your thread with both great interest and admiration. I am new (or at least upgrading from a 55 gal FOWLR) to reef keeping and have went with an unusual 260 gal corner pentagon shape. I would welcome your thoughts on aquascape design as I plan for this to be a mixed reef setup with mostly tangs, wrasses, etc. I really like the depth, dimension and movement you have created in your tank and would like to mimic the “valley” you created as it seems to fit my tank dimensions. The tank is 44” in both directions from the back corner, 24” deep overflow to center glass front and 30” high.

Very grateful to you for your willingness to share your expertise with us on this board.

9BDCE157-0B16-4402-8429-0E7F5EEAFF37.jpeg
0536A4BE-8936-4432-A163-4BE03A5A6094.jpeg
CEF14772-DCE9-437A-9F77-F392B9E6350B.jpeg

Have you seen the videos I made with suggestions for different tanks? Many of them can be applied to your tank.

My tank has a hollow mountain at the back with the anemones, an area for corals and a pillar for a magnifica.

The challenge in your tank is that the sides are very narrow, so when you put rock in those areas, you shouldn't go high.

The advantage of your tank is the depth and one of the best way to enhance the depth perception is with a tall version of the sleeping dragon.

Jrcjr5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the videos I made with suggestions for different tanks? Many of them can be applied to your tank.

My tank has a hollow mountain at the back with the anemones, an area for corals and a pillar for a magnifica.

The challenge in your tank is that the sides are very narrow, so when you put rock in those areas, you shouldn't go high.

The advantage of your tank is the depth and one of the best way to enhance the depth perception is with a tall version of the sleeping dragon.

Yes, I posted my pics and then subsequently came across your other videos. I like the “off-center” canyon and recognize I’ll need to go very small towards the sides. I will try some sleeping dragon renditions and post for the board. Again, many “tanks” to you for your contributions to the hobby and this board! :)

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ardeus I have started this Waterbox with some old live rock that is now dead. This is what I have for the right side. I have more live rock that is in my holding tank waiting for this to be wet. I would love some ideas on what to do on the left with the cove on the right. I will also be adding a GSP rock in the middle of the cove opening as well as another piece to the end of the front of the cove. I'm including a pic of my previous tank so you can see the rock I have and the piece that is going to go on the cove(circled). The cove is 3 pieces and very sturdy.
Day1-1.jpg

Day1.jpg

Day211.jpg

Day211-1.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piling rocks is a tricky thing because we tend to do the opposite of what we usually can see in any natural landscapes, above and below water.

When we pile rock, most of us put the larger rocks on the bottom and the smaller ones on top, mostly because of stability.

In nature we usually don't see that, the smaller rocks fall and scatter around the larger ones.

If we try the opposite, it looks weird too.

So our best chance is to hide the fact that we're using lots of rocks by making the rocks fit the best possible way, creating seamless structures.

You achieved that on the bottom part, but the 2 smaller rocks on top still look like they are not fitting the structure.

PoeticInjustice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ardeus, thanks for doing this. You're a great help for artistically-challenged people like me lol
I've read through the thread and have an idea on how to tackle my tank's aquascape...
Here's where my tank currently stand.

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

I plan on keeping the large rock on the left as an island and create a bay on the right... or create a bay on the left with the large rock and create an anemone island on the right. What do you think?

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a great job in integrating the rocks, it's very difficult to distinguish each rock.

An anemone island is a must, because otherwise they will take over the whole tank.

You still need to solve 2 problems:

- The height of the anemone island is the same of the other structure;

- There's no sense of depth.

20180530_090538.jpg

That being said, the shapes you built are interesting.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back