NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2e5800f3103165ab39ed8f825226c955.jpg
67e9f62c64cdf06f77c3d0f64838430f.jpg

Dont focus on the algae too much.
One issue i have with this tank is just how tall it is and rock is so expensive in Australia.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180530_125135.jpg

Your rocks look the same height. Is it possible to turn one of them in a way that there's a bigger height difference?

PoeticInjustice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a great job in integrating the rocks, it's very difficult to distinguish each rock.

An anemone island is a must, because otherwise they will take over the whole tank.

You still need to solve 2 problems:

- The height of the anemone island is the same of the other structure;

- There's no sense of depth.

20180530_090538.jpg

That being said, the shapes you built are interesting.

Thanks Ardeus... I plan to create a bay and island(s) this weekend. I’ll post the updated photos after.

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180530_125135.jpg

Your rocks look the same height. Is it possible to turn one of them in a way that there's a bigger height difference?
I will try an manipulate them when I get home see what I can do and I will send you a pic...Thank you

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180530_213919.jpg

You 2 very similar bays and you are splitting the tank almost right at the centre with that rock almost touching the front glass.

If you remove all the rock that is near the front and side glasses you will have more rock to go up. At the moment your tank misses space on the sides and has excess space on top. I would try the 2 structures layout (1 huge and 1 small).

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all I suggest getting rock away from the front glass.

The easiest way would be a two islands layout, one big and one small.

Can you get the sarcophytons together in a single structure? 2 right next to each other and the other slightly appart.
Thanks- Would you PM me and I can get some more advice and send some more Pics.

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180530_213919.jpg

You 2 very similar bays and you are splitting the tank almost right at the centre with that rock almost touching the front glass.

If you remove all the rock that is near the front and side glasses you will have more rock to go up. At the moment your tank misses space on the sides and has excess space on top. I would try the 2 structures layout (1 huge and 1 small).

Thanks I’ll try that my only concern is the tank is really tall but not very wide. Any tips for slim tanks?

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These narrow and tall tanks really bennefit from reef branches which allow to gain height without pilling up rock.

With your rock, I would still try to create 2 separate structures, one much bigger than the other. Avoid symmetry especially in the big structure.

Your biggest structure only needs to reach half the height of the tank. With corals on top it will get to 2/3 of the height.

And of course, try to find corals to grow tall.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it very much. Even when the corals grow, it will still look much bigger than it is. The shapes make it very interesting to look at.

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ardeus.

I will post pictures in a couple of days, not home right now.

I have read this tread and feel really inspired by all your ideas and inputs, it’s a greate help.

I have a challenge on my new tank.

It’s 2,5 meter long, 50 cm wide and 60 cm high. So, it’s narrow :)

I’m an experienced reefer from Denmark and whit this tank I wanna try something “different”.
My own thoughts was/still is, as follows:

I would love to have a minimalistic look.
Would love to have some “floating” rocks, (hanging on the back wall).
Would love to have some free swimming space.
Would have “enough” caves and cranny’s for the livestock, so they don’t fight.
I want to make a aquascape, that is “different” and a little unusual.

Livestock/fish wise I wish = “ordinary” reef fish,e.g. a couple of tangs, some wrasses, clown pair, school of anthias, AND , a couple of angles and butterfly fish.

I know that the angles will nip on lps, so, not to many of those, and I know that the butterflies will nip on sps, but that’s ok, I’m gonna have some “easy” and fast growing montipora corals in there.

How would you make the scape, can you share your thoughts on this, even whitout some photos? They will come when I get back home.

Thank you sir ;-)
Greetings from Denmark

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to integrate a lot of different types of concepts. It can be done in an harmonious way. Think fractals!

The tank being so long, I would go with either 2 or 3 mega structures.

If it's 3, go with a huge 1 in the middle (off centre), and a medium one to one side and a small one to the other (leaving lots of open space in this area.

In each mega structure you can incorporate the other structures you want: caves, suspended rocks, etc.

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a idea :)

What is a “mega” structure in your understanding? Is it like a big rock/ island...?
And, the tank is standing along a wall and also whit a wall on one of the ends = is stands in a corner. So one of the ends and the front is “free”.

Will you say that I, also in this case, should avoid to place rock work in the end/up against the end wall in the corner of the tank?

@think fractals.... do you mean like repeat the same layout on all 3 structures, just in different sizes?

Thx ;-)

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what you enjoy doing and looking at.

Here's an example of what I would consider a simple implementation of a fractal design.

Imagine your tank as 3 structure iwagumi - 1 big structure, 1 medium size structure and one small structure.

Then the big structure is in itself made of a 7 piece iwagumi.

The middle size structure is made of a 5 piece iwagumi.

The small structure is a 3 piece iwagumi.

Then the largest piece in the largest structure is a 3 piece iwagumi.

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g IM so not much room to work with but this is it so far. My only thing I'm questionable about is the rock island on the left, as I know in a small tank once corals are there the small canyon/island will connect.
20180603_113515.jpg
20180603_111540.jpg

Back