Need help with your aquascape?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need an outside perspective to help with improving your aquascape, just post here a few shots of your tank, and will try my best shot at providing specific advise according to your goals for the tank.

Sometimes I can just answer here, show the alterations using photoshop or make a video.

Just post here front shots with your cellphone/camera positioned at 3 different heights (sand level, centre and water level) and also a couple of angled photos, so that I can have a better understanding of your tank's layout.

IMG_20180429_094401.jpg

IMG_20180429_094451.jpg
IMG_20180429_094518.jpg

This is a subject that is surprisingly not researched by most reefers and I have given some thought and some time ago I did a similar exercise in another forum.

It's also a great way for everyone to learn from each other and see a few freshwater techniques that we can apply and also many others that are specific for reef tanks.

In the meantime, if you want some inspiration here are a few videos I made with suggestions for different tank shapes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has an unusual shape and I noticed it's very tall.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hds-144-build-check-this-one-out.384638/

Because it's so tall, it's difficult to escape having a single rock structure, because otherwise, your rock structure will either be too low in proportion with your tank height or the structures will look like thin pillars.

If you have a single rock structure, it should be as interesting as possible.

The first idea idea that comes to my mind is to have a hollow rock structure, creating a massive cave at the back with several entrances not only at ground level but also higher.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember a couple of things:

- If the rock structure is too big, the tank will look small. If you have a good amount of clear sand around the rock, the tank will look more spacious.

- Take into account the space that the corals will fill, so that the tank will continue to have plenty of open space.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be considering coral placement & grow out as well? That's been my struggle. I can always come up with a good looking rock layout that avoids the 'stacks' or 'piles' pitfalls, but thinking through the future of some larger corals is tough. Especially when future decisions about corals may be a complete unknown.
Argh, and I hate the photo reflections! Probably not the best time of day for photos:

fullsizeoutput_3b34.jpeg IMG_8357.JPG IMG_8358.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8361.JPG

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be considering coral placement & grow out as well? That's been my struggle. I can always come up with a good looking rock layout that avoids the 'stacks' or 'piles' pitfalls, but thinking through the future of some larger corals is tough. Especially when future decisions about corals may be a complete unknown.
Argh, and I hate the photo reflections! Probably not the best time of day for photos:

fullsizeoutput_3b34.jpeg IMG_8357.JPG IMG_8358.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8361.JPG

Your tank looks great to start with. Plenty of open space and mainly occupied by big pieces.

I have a couple of suggestions. You have 3 structures at the same height:

Untitled-1.jpg

I would change it this way:

Untitled-2.jpg

Instead of breaking that big tall purple stylophora, you could move it?

I have the same problem you have: Fungia! They are big and yours is reducing the effect of that small bay. I would put it in one of the back corners.

Untitled-3.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A few suggestions:

- Your frontline is flat: you can create a small bay with non symmetrical arms.
- You have a tall gorgonia in the front. It will look more natural coming from behind the rocks.
- I don't know if it's something easy to do, but I would try to get a bit more free space between the rock and the side glasses.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I try to follow a method when placing corals based on similarity/contrast.

I did a video about my tank where I explain it:

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, yes that center Xenia rock was one of those "now where do I put this?" issues after the base rock scape was done. But my wife loves the Xenia. I can prune it down a bit probably.
Same with the Blue Ridge on the right (not stylo) - it's one big rock all by itself that I had to find room for after the fact. I have been tempted to cut the bottom though - both to shorten it and make a flat bottom for stability. I've had that thing since 2012 - amazing how much it has changed when I look back at old photos.
The fungia could move all the way left I think - I'd hate to hide it in the back.
Plating Monti is always troublesome because it grows so fast and is hard to secure it well. The cascading look in front just kinda happened for lack of a better idea.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the xenias there, there's a "mushy" progression coming up from the left, I like it.

The monti looks really great there, slighty off center, so it's not breaking the tank in 2.

Have you thought about putting some branching coral (soft or sps) in the back?

20180429_211807.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the xenias there, there's a "mushy" progression coming up from the left, I like it.

The monti looks really great there, slighty off center, so it's not breaking the tank in 2.

Have you thought about putting some branching coral (soft or sps) in the back?

Thanks! If I could keep SPS happy to save my life, then yeah! I like the idea. Wouldn't be too hard to get something anchored back there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here's a challenge..............................

360hhh.png
360nnn.jpg
360fff.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So much coral, how about redecorating about half of it into my tank? I feel like that'll fix your tank up and mine as well, hows it sound?
LOL. I have 4 tanks. Plenty to go around. This is my focus tank. Next is the 93 cube
20180211_161241_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back