Need More Coralline!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have an 18month old 200g that more or less refuses to grow coralline. I've seeded it with rocks, the bottled stuff, scrapings. Here's the info.

-3x XR 30's running just blues - would adding more white help?
-Just tested: CA = 430, ALK = 9.5, Nitrates are high at 20ish. (testing phosphate after posting this since I realize I forgot)

When I run white I get algae issues - so i switched to all blue, which I also just like the look of - but maybe that's my issue?

And I know - careful what I wish for. I just want to think things are healthy in there and that's always been a sign for me.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think the obvious presence of coralline signifies a healthy reef tank, though?

I have tons of coralline caking my RSM250, which I've been running since January. It has broken T5 lighting (two ballasts have issues), overheating issues, and a (diminishing) aiptasia problem. I also overfeed and don't do enough water changes. Clearly, coralline isn't everything. :)

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corraline will grow with elevated alk levels. I would run whites as well and find another way to combat algae.

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coralline just doesn't stop growing. Covers everything and I can't contain it. I'm not doing anything special other than dosing 2 part. I think my secret wasn't to use scrapings but putting an established rock with a thick layer of coralline covering it onto my new rock work. I did that for my new tank and it took off pretty fast. I'm running a more blue spectrum with my kessil, and on my smaller tank I have a orbit IC and a fluval flex reef light and both of them push more blue spectrum. But I don't think the light color had anything to do with it. I ran for almost a year on the Orbit IC stock program before I ran bought my Kessil.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you have my problem , I grow corraline algae very fast but not fast enough to out compete my cuc - urchin and asterina stars favor corraline for me and seek it out to eat lol

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All great replies - thanks.

I don't necessarily think Coralline is the only sign of a healthy tank - but it's definitely a sign of a maturing tank and just makes things look more complete.

I'm going to switch to running 18k during the day and see how that goes, and I'll increase my ALK dosing a touch. Nothing crazy.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great replies - thanks.

I don't necessarily think Coralline is the only sign of a healthy tank - but it's definitely a sign of a maturing tank and just makes things look more complete.

I'm going to switch to running 18k during the day and see how that goes, and I'll increase my ALK dosing a touch. Nothing crazy.
What's your water source -- and you soften your water?

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's your water source -- and you soften your water?

Everything goes through RODI and I keep up with changing the media out. I'm in the PNW and water out of the tap is pretty soft and about 15-20TDS. But then just goes through RODI. I use Instant Ocean salt.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your phosphates?

I don’t think you should raise your Alk. I think you should test your PH. I’d bet it’s on the lower end.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What’s your phosphates?

I don’t think you should raise your Alk. I think you should test your PH. I’d bet it’s on the lower end.

Well, I realized I was out of magic powder for my Hannah phosphate test so that's coming. PH reads a consistent 8.0-8.15 throughout the day/night cycle. I'll test that though, the Apex could need to be calibrated.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plating coralline. Personally, I hate the stuff, and regret letting it go bananas in my tank. It comes off in sheets! If I could, I'd send you a ton of it! lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back