Need new heater???

ComradeCactus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my sump, for the first time in 2 years and when i cleaned the heater all the black color on it did vanished so it seethrough, do i need a new heater or is it ok?
Its a aquael heater.
Thanks.

OP
OP
ComradeCactus

ComradeCactus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0009[1].JPG

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. If you made it two years with this heater you were lucky and got your moneys worth. Its the norm to change out your heater annually.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run two heaters,.so if one fails the other will maintain or slow the heat loss/ heat gain if stuck on. I would also recommend using an Inkbird or similar controller with an alarm. I have an Inkbird I got from BRS that has alarms I set if it gets a couple degrees above or below my set temp.

OP
OP
ComradeCactus

ComradeCactus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought a Eheim heaters today and it has 3 years guarantee, but they break after a year??

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought a Eheim heaters today and it has 3 years guarantee, but they break after a year??

Its not that they 'break' after a year. Its that everything will eventually fail. Some things like heaters when they fail will 'fail on' and cook your tank, killing everything in it. Some will fail off, and just let the tank cool down a bit, but usually room temperature keeps this from being a tragedy. Some will 'explode' and risk shocking/killing your tank. Others can break and release harmful chemicals/metals/elements.

The reason people are suggesting to replace annually is the same reason you change the oil on your car as opposed to wait until the engine breaks to replace it instead. Its a heck of a lot easier to change the heater out then it is to replace a dead tank and deal with that. Its a preemptive measure as opposed to a reactive measure.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Eheims will last about 3-5 years. Manufacturers know that you want be chasing a replacement worth about 30 bucks.

That said, I've had the first finnex last 6 plus years but any recently purchased didnt last a year - went back to eheim.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general...if it's past warranty (which is usually 1 year - replace). If something about a heater makes you ask this question...replace. It's 20-30 bucks - not worth the worry or gamble. Even if it was high $ heater, I'd still replace if something about it made me ask this question.

However, I think I'm going to trust my Eheims to go 3 years. But then again, I don't rely on the internal thermostat or cycle it often since it's only a backup if the controller fails on (and I also have a fail safe Auto Aqua Temp security if that fails). Even then I check internal thermostats at least annually (and if fail - gone). At three years though, even if passes checks I'll replace. I guess I look at the 3 year warranty as a 'heater coil/system integrity' warranty and really have no expectations that I can rely on the internal thermostat so designed system that way.

Last edited:
Back