Need opinions, algae reactor owners.

Marou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, last months i am bebating between a bacteria-zeo stone driven system and an algae (chaeto) reactor for my new sps setup. To all of you that you own one how do you rate it when it comes to:
1. Nutrient export affectiveness and consitency.
2. Ease of use.
3. Why put algae in a reactor instead of a place in the sump, does a reactor really puts algae on steroids? :p

Please i dont want reviews on specific units but a review on algae reactors in general. Thank you! :)

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own. And I think the reason they work so well is the light around the whole thing. Also maybe because the flow through reactor is slower allowing more time to absorb nutrients. I ditched it due to it being a pain the harvest the cheato. I dislike dealing with reactors in general. I find it allot easier to just pull chunks out of a sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a chaeto reactor for a while and found it to be no better than chaeto in the sump. Maybe it takes up less space, but that's about it. I do have an elevated sump, so am able to light the cheato from both above and below.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best addition you can make for nutrient export and very easy maintenance. My theory of why a reactor vs in the sump. it's all about the flow rate. I never had great success with the refugiums I was running, they were designed straight through and the flow rates were 1000gph plus. Macros were healthy and growing, somewhat; but nutrient export was disappointing. Now running reactors, with the flow rates between like 250-300gph; my nitrates and phosphates are minimal...great results.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried fuge with some success but chaeto would stop rolling and get die off at the bottom all the time. Then converted my aquamaxx reactor with an amazon bought strip and it worked pretty well but not what i would have liked.

bit the bullet and got a Paxbellum Arid N18 and holy smoke. instant nutrient reduction and tons of FAST growth. has to be their center tube lights and reflective chamber. i had no idea what growth was until i saw this.

pic of first harvest after the first two weeks starting with a golf ball size piece. now i'll harvest weekly and see how it does.
arid.jpg

arid 2.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention that maintenance on this thing is a breeze with the quick disconnects they sell. i have my pump and light on a smart switch so i just use my phone a click once to shut it down, then push the buttons on the quick disconnects, unplug the short plug to the light and walk it to the sink. 15 minutes and it was back up and running.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arid N24 user and it is awesome. Grows chaeto like crazy and is always full of pods. I fill a gallon ziplock stuffed every 4 weeks or so. Bright neon green. Keep about 15-20% as seed and start all over again. Takes 5-10 minutes to empt, clean and start back up. JP

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jporter17 and @reeftivo Arid users, do you use the the iron/Manganese and/or the nitrate/molybdenum dosing bottles recommended by Arid manufacturer ? Thanks.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a diy reactor for awhile then transitioned to just a ball tumbling in a sump chamber. Personally don’t see the benefit from running a reactor when you can just have a tumbling ball and trim(or don’t) as you see fit.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a diy reactor for awhile then transitioned to just a ball tumbling in a sump chamber. Personally don’t see the benefit from running a reactor when you can just have a tumbling ball and trim(or don’t) as you see fit.
my reason for using a reactor, as with many, was that i have a cube and have limited sump space for my gear. I ran an aquafuge, then a 10 gallon tank off the side, but my system is dead center in the living room so an external fuge was only going to last so long with the wife complaining all the time about aesthetics. I had plenty of nutrients and limited success so i went and converted my AQ pellet reactor with an amazon grow strip. that worked pretty good, but was a PIA to service and just wasn't keeping up. Enter the Paxbellum ARID! Now growth is off the charts and nutrients are stable. Just saying!

Hairmetal89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been considering the Paxbellum for months. I get zero reading for P or N on my salifert test kits but my live rock has algae that grows on the highest rocks. I run NoPox on a doser and have what seems to be a great Vertex skimmer that pulls lots of gunk, but something must be feeding the algae. Incredibly frustrating. Reefvito- Good to see this positive experience, I may take the plunge. My usual hesitation (after $) is now I have another "thing" that is plumbed and can leak... but these units seem first class.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been considering the Paxbellum for months. I get zero reading for P or N on my salifert test kits but my live rock has algae that grows on the highest rocks. I run NoPox on a doser and have what seems to be a great Vertex skimmer that pulls lots of gunk, but something must be feeding the algae. Incredibly frustrating. Reefvito- Good to see this positive experience, I may take the plunge. My usual hesitation (after $) is now I have another "thing" that is plumbed and can leak... but these units seem first class.
It's nice for sure! I saw a video on their FB page showing a person (owner maybe) trying to bend and break off the base filter plate from the light tube from an N18. DANG that thing kicked his rear. These are made to last. I was on the waiting list for an L2 from Bud at turbos aquatics, but while i was waiting to be contacted by Bud, i had a little financial set back that took the funds i had allocated for the L2. After that, i had some time to reflect on all the maintenance i do under the cabinet I realized that maybe the L2 wasn't in the cards since it would actually complicate getting to other equipment. I went with the ARID because i could run it effectively outside the cabinet and easily disconnect for maintenance.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back