Need opinions on socks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a felt 200 micron 4x8 pair, I can get away 2 days without the water overflowing into the next chamber. I got tired of washing them so I tried mesh. Mesh is easy to clean under the sink so I tried some 50 micron mesh 4x13 or something like that but it clogs daily. I don't want a 200 or 225 micron mesh because I felt that the 200 felt wasn't catching enough, but I hate having to swap lower micron socks out daily. My question is do you all think I should try a 100 micron felt (t would be a 4x10 instead of 4x8) or just go to a longer 200 micron felt sock.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the length of the sock doesn't matter as much as you would think- for example, when I used 4x16 socks, I wasn't getting anywhere near twice the time until clogging as my standard 4x8 socks. Therefore, I'm not sure you're going to find a sweet spot, but based on your description, have you tried any of the 100 micron mesh?

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run whatever length fits the spot without folding the bottom over (being too long, won’t do anything).

what about running one felt and one mesh? When you say you weren’t thinking the 200 micron was catching enough, how do you mean? I run 300 micron felt socks for my eshopps sump (what it came with). I wouldn’t say I feel like it’s missing collecting stuff. I run a single 7” and get close to a week out of it before it’s overflowing (on a heavily fed 210 gal tank).

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Socks are one of those love hate things. You can stretch a day or 2 more out, but they always win and need cleaning. Or do what I do and ignore them for a week and let them spill over into the overflow :p

I will share the lazy way to do it. I rotate a few different ways depending on how my tank is acting. I run mesh if really clean, if a little dirty I put some fill in the mesh to extend the life of the mesh. i have long and short felt shocks if a little dirtier. The long seems to last a bit longer, but not much. I use fill again or filter pad inside to extend the life of them as well. And finally a large plastic media cup instead of a sock which can be set up any way wanted.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hate/hate relationship with socks. I don’t use them :)

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on what’s in your tank. If running a mixed tank with any sps, I would change out no more than every 3-4 days regardless. I never wait until it’s clogged .

- do not wash with anything that has phosphates in it , or any generic laundry detergent .
- do not put in dryer. Instead, get a bucket of ro water and dunk all socks in to rinse, then wring out and let air dry.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the length of the sock doesn't matter as much as you would think- for example, when I used 4x16 socks, I wasn't getting anywhere near twice the time until clogging as my standard 4x8 socks. Therefore, I'm not sure you're going to find a sweet spot, but based on your description, have you tried any of the 100 micron mesh?

I haven't because I couldn't find a less than 14 inch long mesh 100 micron except for red sea but their socks are slightly smaller than others and might float in my sock holder.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on what’s in your tank. If running a mixed tank with any sps, I would change out no more than every 3-4 days regardless. I never wait until it’s clogged .

- do not wash with anything that has phosphates in it , or any generic laundry detergent .
- do not put in dryer. Instead, get a bucket of ro water and dunk all socks in to rinse, then wring out and let air dry.

I typically wash mesh by hand with tap water and felt in the washer machine without any detergent or anything. I also don't mind nitrate and phosphate from socks sitting in their for a while as I struggle to have any at all.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Socks are one of those love hate things. You can stretch a day or 2 more out, but they always win and need cleaning. Or do what I do and ignore them for a week and let them spill over into the overflow :p

I will share the lazy way to do it. I rotate a few different ways depending on how my tank is acting. I run mesh if really clean, if a little dirty I put some fill in the mesh to extend the life of the mesh. i have long and short felt shocks if a little dirtier. The long seems to last a bit longer, but not much. I use fill again or filter pad inside to extend the life of them as well. And finally a large plastic media cup instead of a sock which can be set up any way wanted.

I tried filter pads but removing them seems to dump whatever was on top into the sump unfortunately.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 200micron mesh socks...sometimes I have to change after a few days, other times a week.

I prefer mesh over felt, though...too much cleaning work with felt.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back