Need peppermint shrimp gone ASAP!

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently purchased 2 peppermint shrimp to go in our 20 gallon reef tank. We just got them to help with some of the algae and detritus that grows. A day or so after putting them in we noticed our Xenias staying closed. The next day we noticed the shrimps picking at the acans. We have tried getting them out with a net, our hands, and a bottle trap. Nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are carnivores not detritavores or algae grazes. Alot of people buy them to help control aptasia anemones, but sometimes they switch from aptasias to btas and yeah even other corals. I would personally try the bottle trap again and meanwhile that works give your shrimp meaty foods to try and curb their appetite.

OP
OP
TheStricklins

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are carnivores not detritavores or algae grazes. Alot of people buy them to help control aptasia anemones, but sometimes they switch from aptasias to btas and yeah even other corals. I would personally try the bottle trap again and meanwhile that works give your shrimp meaty foods to try and curb their appetite.
We feed them shrimp as well. We are afraid to do the bottle trap again because our firefish actually went in and it seemed to really stress him out. Any tips on that?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a deep glass or container with some frozen food in it. It works very well for crabs, I think a deep one would work for some meat hungry peps.

I used a stemless wine glass to get 3 crabs with 3 attempts out of my 40 breeder.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy or borrow some sort of shrimp eating predator if all else fails. A buddy of mine wanted to get rid of his peppermints for the same reason, and my Marine Betta ate them all. Mind you he was able to net his out and chuck them in my tank so not exactly 1:1, but would definitely work, if not the most practical solution.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still have your rocks the way they are in your build thread just pull them out and catch the shrimp. Shouldn't be too hard to get all that done in under 5 minutes.

OP
OP
TheStricklins

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... I got those little stinkers. I tried the bottle one more time and they were too smart for it. They went halfway and just turned back around. I pulled my top rocks out and after an hour and an arm cramp I got them both

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back