Need Positive ID on New Porcupine Fish

pufferfish_jake_98

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
Lehighton
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7985 2.jpg
IMG_7982 2.jpg
IMG_7970 2.jpg
IMG_7969 2.jpg


Good Morning!
I recently got this little guy assuming that this puffer is a Diodon Holocanthus. However, upon receiving him, I noticed some features such as the shorter spines on him that are making me also think that he could be a Diodon Hystrix. The vendor I received him from told me that either species could be given, however I believe they look similar in their juvenile form and they vendor was not 100% certain.

Is someone able to confirm if this puffer is a Diodon Hystrix? Other resources have told me that the Hystrix is known as the Giant Puffer, and can grow significantly larger than the Holocanthus by sometimes double, which I would not be able to accommodate for in my tank setup. Thanks!
 
I believe halocanthus as hysteric is more spotted with spotted finnage
 
I believe halocanthus as hysteric is more spotted with spotted finnage
That's what I was thinking, however I found that it is hard to tell until they are bigger, and that the spotted finnage shows up later. He currently has spots just behind his eyes for the most part.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new