Need Refugium help!

DJ26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to come up with refuge design using what I have .Can any one tell me if this would work? If not why and what would you change?
Thank you.
375 gallon reef Refugium design.png

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I am trying to come up with refuge design using what I have .Can any one tell me if this would work? If not why and what would you change?
Thank you.
Why do you want a DSB? BRS/people say chaeto can literally take care of all your nitrate problems. They did a video where they fed heavily, and still had to add liquid nitrates bc the chaeto used it all.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this. But I am not especially good at spotting potential hydraulic challenges so I will just lurk around here and learn something. I did manage to connect 3 tanks to 2 sumps in basement without too much drama. (Although my WCs are still chaotic splashfests.)

I too am curious about the DSB. Does this function similar to having a bunch of sump rock?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I like this. But I am not especially good at spotting potential hydraulic challenges so I will just lurk around here and learn something. I did manage to connect 3 tanks to 2 sumps in basement without too much drama. (Although my WCs are still chaotic splashfests.)

I too am curious about the DSB. Does this function similar to having a bunch of sump rock?
DSB, I think if I remember right, has anaerobic bacteria that convert nitrates to nitrogen gas that off gasses it to expel from the tank

OP
OP
D

DJ26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses..I have 200 lbs of Caribbean live sand for the DT.
And I have about 200lbs of rock also. Should this be enough to eliminate the dsb in the fuge?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's necessary either way. The rock and sand should be enough bio. If you're worried throw a few bags of matrix or pumice in the fuge. Between that giant skimmer and 75g fuge you'll probably nutrient deficient. Chaeto with a powerful grow light and high nutrients grows extremely quick.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's necessary either way. The rock and sand should be enough bio. If you're worried throw a few bags of matrix or pumice in the fuge. Between that giant skimmer and 75g fuge you'll probably nutrient deficient. Chaeto with a powerful grow light and high nutrients grows extremely quick.

+1 agree you will have enough for a good bioload. Although I am a big fan of sump rock.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned about nitrate and phosphate export use the extra space you gain by dropping DSB to increase the chaeto fuge size (though it's already plenty big). You'll be surprised how efficient a fuge is as keeping your nutrient levels at near zero levels.

OP
OP
D

DJ26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 150 reef with a 55gal refugium running 40 lbs of miracle mud and chaeto. And all my levels stay pretty well.. with all the suggestions here...
I’m tempted to try this without dsb ??
Or should I go with the mm instead of the dsb?
D18F1AA0-F79F-44E2-B328-BF2ABC5547A8.jpeg

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 150 reef with a 55gal refugium running 40 lbs of miracle mud and chaeto. And all my levels stay pretty well.. with all the suggestions here...
I’m tempted to try this without dsb ??
Or should I go with the mm instead of the dsb?
D18F1AA0-F79F-44E2-B328-BF2ABC5547A8.jpeg
That's a really nice setup. I would do what you feel works for you. Everyone has their own approach that works for them. You have a hot rod skimmer and a fuge size right over 20% of the tank volume. Personally I think you'll be golden with a kessil h380 or a ufo 150w hanging over the chaeto. That much chaeto will probably starve itself out tbh going by the way you stocked your 150.

I ran a 75 with a ro classic 200int and fuge. That handled a big eel and normal stocking with only 10% changes. No sps though

Last edited:

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will a non pressured drain line actually run a skimmer?

Your drain lines are going to be noisy, trap air (if you are putting horizontal runs like in the diagram) and be difficult to tune and keep running reliably. I would not want 1 drain line 12" below the surface and the other 2" below the surface.

your logic of draining to a refugium and water moving over to the primary sump via a (large enough of course) connection should be just fine.

OP
OP
D

DJ26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will a non pressured drain line actually run a skimmer?

Your drain lines are going to be noisy, trap air (if you are putting horizontal runs like in the diagram) and be difficult to tune and keep running reliably. I would not want 1 drain line 12" below the surface and the other 2" below the surface.

your logic of draining to a refugium and water moving over to the primary sump via a (large enough of course) connection should be just fine.

Thanks for the feed back,
I also was wondering if the return would be sufficient enough to properly feed the skimmer?I do have pumps to run the skimmer, if need be . But I thought if I could eliminate a pump I could use gravity instead? Has any one ever tried this with success before ? Or should I just plum it to a pump and scrap this idea? As far as the sound not too concerned ,it is in my basement in a big room with my 150gal that my wife calls the “fish room”.
also what part of NG are you located? I’m also in NG.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ha
Thank you.
I have 3 set ups with multiple sumps/refugium currently running. Something common all of them is a taller cabinet (around 40”) and all sumps and refugium are custom made to fit. More pictures to follow. Your diagram is obviously not to scale and vertical space is quickly lost when you are relying on gravity. The skimmer running off a drain would definitely not work IMO.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ha

I have 3 set ups with multiple sumps/refugium currently running. Something common all of them is a taller cabinet (around 40”) and all sumps and refugium are custom made to fit. More pictures to follow. Your diagram is obviously not to scale and vertical space is quickly lost when you are relying on gravity. The skimmer running off a drain would definitely not work IMO.
Here is the plumbing on the 120 gal. It has been running this way since 2007.
The inner most 1” bulkheads drain 2 overflow boxes within the display tank. The manifold I made with 1 1/4” pvc. It mixes water from both overflows and then distributes in opposite directions. The red gate valve to the right feeds water to the elevated refugium, and the valve to the left goes directly to the sump below onto a filter pad. A bulkhead installed on the left end of refugium also drains onto this filter pad in the sump below. The 1” pipes seen over the manifold are returns from the pump back to the display through the overflow boxes.
In the 2nd picture, you can see the sump below. It was placed staggered forward of the refugium above for better access and maintenance. The skimmer, an external MRC M1 is installed to the left of the bottom sump. The main pump to the right of the lower sump is a Blueline 70 (1700 gph). I run the skimmer and turn the tank over with this pump only. The only other additional pump in the system is an external 40 that feeds a chiller to and from the bottom sump.
As I mentioned, this set up would not be possible with manufactured glass tanks as sumps. Both bottom and refugium sumps were custom made to fit.
I have 2 other similar set ups like this running. A pair of 60 gal shallow frag/grow out tanks sharing everything underneath and a 65 gal display set up very similar to this one, also 1 external pump running everything.

C23950ED-4266-40F2-BCF8-FB2A33EA4942.jpeg D36B5263-3284-4504-8937-555D71F8B472.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back