Need some advice on how to ensure my clownsfish pairs well

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female clownfish in qt right now, I’m going to be adding a smaller male soon, I plan on having a divider in the middle of the tank so I can treat them without added stress from potential fighting.

Anything else I can do to make the pairing smoother?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend just observing their initial interactions rather than seperating them. In most cases a female accepts a male with out issues, and if they can't interact in qt it is possible for the male to begin transitioning, which has potential for greater trouble down the road.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just add that it depends on species ime. For mild clowns like percula or ocellaris I would just add them together, for the rougher species like maroon I have found that an acclimation box (divider will work fine) for a couple of days before introducing them helps.
Giving them some time to sort it out is sometimes hard but so can be the bonding process. The male needs to be put in its place and this can mean the odd scrape or split fins and I'd only step in if you think the male will be killed.

OP
OP
Nopy117

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend just observing their initial interactions rather than seperating them. In most cases a female accepts a male with out issues, and if they can't interact in qt it is possible for the male to begin transitioning, which has potential for greater trouble down the road.
This is actually what Ive decided to do, haven't seen your reply until now, they are getting along really well, they are both handling treatment well too, think my female is starting to gain some weight now that the internal parasites are getting beaten back!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back