Need some controller advice for flow through research setup

clockdive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am looking to setup several tanks utilizing a flow-through seawater system at our marine research facility. Essentially, we have a flow through seawater system that moves thousands of gallons of water per min and I would like to setup multiple small tanks (25ish gallons) that I can precisely control the temperature to a few degrees warmer than ambient seawater. Can you recommend any temperature controllers that can be used to control multiple tank's temperature at once?

Thanks!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune Apex can support up to 49 modules. You’d need one module per temperature probe, and depending on the wattage of the heaters, you could have up to 8 heaters on an EnergyBar. It would be an expensive solution, but accurate to 0.1 degree F.

Take a look at my Apex Hardware Overview article for the complete list of available modules. Temperature probes may be connected to the Apex base unit, and to the PM1, PM2, PM3, or ASM modules.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a diagram of what Apex modules you'd need for multiple tanks. Technically you could eliminate one of the PM1 modules since the Apex has one temperature probe on the base unit. With a limit of 49 modules, you could support 44 tanks with this architecture before needing a 2nd Apex unit. This also assumes each heater is no larger than about 150 watts so the EnergyBar isn't overloaded.

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 11.13.17 AM.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the Hydros XS. It has 4 sense port inputs. So you can hook up 4 temp probes. If you get the starter kit it has a wifi strip with it with 4 AC outlets and 1 temp probe. The starter kit is $200. So you could monitor and heat 4 small tanks with it By adding three more temp probes. The only issue is there is a minimum hysteresis of .4 degrees. So that may be too large a range for what you are trying to do. The wifi strips are $40 if you want more. They can be used separately to control 4 tanks each or they can be connected together to create a collective where they share the inputs and outputs with each other. There is a limit to 8 wifi devices so if you connect them together it would limit you to 8 wifi strips. Not sure that would be an issue though Since you can use them seperatly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back