Need some Guidance

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 years old and I'm still chasing chemical and visual issues. This is the latest Analysis and I have no clue what to add or subtract. I have been doing gravel cleaning and 20% water changes weekly, but last month I went to biweekly, as weekly it is getting costly. I recently changed salt brands from Red Sea Coral Pro to NYOS Pure Reef. I have attached my Analysis and I need a starting point as my corals are receding or just not growing.. I have plenty of flow and lights are giving par readings top 375 bottom 100..

Thanks for looking and any help.
Lithoman

Attachments

• Reef test .pdf
    168.5 KB · Views: 46

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we believe the ICP company results, the salinity is quite high. How are you measuring it and what do you think it is? I would definitely lower it.

Many specific parameters that are high will come down as you lower the salinity.

The alkalinity is a bit low. I would be looking to dose alkalinity to maintain at least 7 dKH.

Aluminum is a bit high, but not an emergency. White media of various sorts may be contributing it.

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.. I measure the salinity with a hanna handheld. I also have a refractor and a Milwaukee digital.. its funny as I calibrate all but have no way to know if the calibrations are correct. I have spared no money on equipment.
I will order a Hydrometer and see if that will help. I use all Hanna testing products. I tested my tank on the same day i took samples to send off.. I measured ALK 10.1 Nitrate 17.2 Phosphate 0.06 so Im a bit confused..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.. I measure the salinity with a hanna handheld. I also have a refractor and a Milwaukee digital.. its funny as I calibrate all but have no way to know if the calibrations are correct. I have spared no money on equipment.
I will order a Hydrometer and see if that will help. I use all Hanna testing products. I tested my tank on the same day i took samples to send off.. I measured ALK 10.1 Nitrate 17.2 Phosphate 0.06 so Im a bit confused..

How did you calibrate the Hanna?

The 10 dKH is fine.

Maybe the ICP company got your samples confused with someone else's, or they mismeasured. That alk difference is pretty substantial. The nitrate is inline.

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you calibrate the Hanna?

The 10 dKH is fine.

Maybe the ICP company got your samples confused with someone else's, or they mismeasured. That alk difference is pretty substantial. The nitrate is inline.
I used Fritz 35 calibration fluid for two see pic. Both Those tests results we 1.026. I then recalibrated the Milwaukee and the results were 1.031.. which matches the online analysis.. Go figure the ones i use every week are incorrect. I changed out 5 gals to drop it to 1.030 will do another tonight and continue till i get it to 1.025. I double checked the dKH it is at 9.9 last night.. I have no way of knowing if that is correct..

Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• 20230927_091800.jpg
    20230927_091800.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 16
  • Clipped_image_20230927_140241.png
    Clipped_image_20230927_140241.png
    1 MB · Views: 18

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this lab and my measurements are inline with the report. Not exact but close enough. You can email them and inquire, they take time to respond but the support I received is great.

Good that you resolved the salinity, I use TM Hydrometer and I found it to be the easiest to use, consistent and affordable. I hAbe no luck with GHL electronics salinity probe (it bounces around too much, I use it for general tracking) or Red Sea refractometer (no luck with that device).

For Alk you could try brand new Hanna regent bottle. Also you could buy different titration kit for more confusion. I have Hanna Alk, titration kit and KH director and they all provide different numbers. Generally they are within 1dKh so I leave it or average it etc… The lab results for Alk are in ballpark as well.

I do wish there was better way to do this testing, not my favourite chore….

Good luck,

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try a new bottle of regent last night.. DKH 6.1.. Wow I'm not a happy camper with Hanna..

Will try to slowly over a week bring that up as well as the salinity down.

Thank you all for the suggestions..

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try a new bottle of regent last night.. DKH 6.1.. Wow I'm not a happy camper with Hanna..

Will try to slowly over a week bring that up as well as the salinity down.

Thank you all for the suggestions..
Hanna works most of the time, but contaminations, age etc… will impact the performance.

Below you will find additional guidance that might be helpful :

I keep my regent bottle in the fridge and I open close the bottle quickly.
Also make a note how much regent you pull in the needle and make a note, I noticed that over time the needle loosens and I was not getting the same amount of regent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back