Need some help with a 9004

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 9004 (the non DC version) and it is skimming relatively well. The problem is after running for about ten minutes it gets really loud. I have taken the skimmer apart and cleaned it thoroughly. The problem remains. I am not sure how to troubleshoot/fix this. Any ideas?

Thanks
John

OP
OP
pompeyjohn

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Don, but I cant lower it any further and still have water flowing in. Did yours get louder over time, or was it loud from the beginning? Mine will get loud over time. If I restart the power it will run silently again for a short while, and then gradually get louder. I feel like I have tried every combination of height and air flow restriction.

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in use? If new, it will either be depth (1/4-1/2 of the front intake submerged) or the air intake/impeller cover has detached from the pump. If it is at least 2 months in use, salt in the air intake on the impeller cover part is the likely cause, it likely has some salt creep inside and this is restricting air flow. If more than 5 months, the pump likely needs to be disassembled and cleaned, this is typically needed every 6 months. Salt can build up in the air intake quickly if the silencer is near a source of salt laden mist or the depth is wrong, a quick fix is to let hot water be drawn into the air intake after removing the silencer and then relocate the silencer away from salt mist and secure it with the provided velcro.

OP
OP
pompeyjohn

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Roger - it has been five months plus. I cleaned the pump, but didn't pay too much attention to the airlines. I am guessing it is salt creep then. It is really strange that this has only recently started happening. The impeller on the pump looks good. Does the length of the airline matter? My airline length looks shorter than photos I have seen online. Also the air valve on mine is not the blue screw collar, but an inline black screw valve. It does have what appears to be the correct grey silencer tube. Is it possible to purchase replacement airline and a blue collar valve?

(Currently running 1/2 submerged, with air intake pinched to about half.)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a photo of what you have for a clamp and silencer? Those parts are available as spare parts. Airline length is not terribly important, it should just barely reach outside the tank, we don't want it under a canopy or in a back compartment where it can take in a lot of moist salt laden air. The longer it is the less air it will take in so it should also not be too long.

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 9004 (the non DC version) and it is skimming relatively well. The problem is after running for about ten minutes it gets really loud. I have taken the skimmer apart and cleaned it thoroughly. The problem remains. I am not sure how to troubleshoot/fix this. Any ideas?

Thanks
John

Yeah, every now and then I get a grinding noise from my skimmer. It almost sounds like a garbage disposal, but not quite as loud. I've had to remove it from the tank and rinse it out on a few different occasions. It's a pain in the butt when it happens, but it still skims really well. The last time it happened I just lowered the skimmer a little bit and it seemed to have worked. At least temporarily.

OP
OP
pompeyjohn

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is that picture Roger, sorry it is not a better quality

IMG_0091.JPG

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saullman, such noise can be from a foreign object in the impeller, snails in particular, on my home 9012 I have a problem with small snails born in the tank getting in the skimmer periodically. It can also be from salt plugging the air intake at the impeller cover, the impeller then gets pulled up by the suction and can hit the cover.

pompeyjohn, I would move the silencer outside the rear compartment area, I would worry that the restriction of that valve might have more area that can build up salt creep than the clamp over the smooth silicon hose so it my be more problematic as far as maintenance but would work otherwise. The clamp is part 9420.045 and can be ordered on Tunze.com

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about my 9004, but it also pertains to all skimmers. Besides dumping out the collection cup when it gets full, is there a need to scrape out the gunk from the cup. Mine has a thick greenish color of buildup. I don't know if after a while it affects the performance of the skimmer? Some insight on that would be great.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that gunk will impede skimming, it tends to be oily and break the foam column. On mine I am a bit lazy and brush it every other week but the ideal would be to do it every time you dump the cup.

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that gunk will impede skimming, it tends to be oily and break the foam column. On mine I am a bit lazy and brush it every other week but the ideal would be to do it every time you dump the cup.

Ok. I'll try cleaning it. I've never cleaned it before and it's been up about 8 months now. Thanks for the advice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back