Need some help with my duncan

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this duncan in my tank for about three weeks, and it does not open up. It did open up briefly a few days after placement, but not since. Occasionally a few small tentacles will peek up above the skeleton, but lately not even that. My water parameters are good at weekly checks and water changes, and my other corals seem to be doing well (Zoas, Leather, mushrooms, Favia, acans, Candycane, and ofcourse the GSP is doing well)

I think it must be placement and/or lighting that is the problem. I PAR mapped the tank, and its location peaks at around 99 PAR, but is less than that throughout the long ramp up and down.

The flow in my tank is fairly random, and what I would call low to moderate. (about the max that the softies will tolerate, especially my shrooms)

I only have one fish at the moment, a diamond goby and he does not bother the duncan, although the duncan is placed rather close to my feeding station, so there is often activity there at feeding times. My crabs are all over the place, but their feeding does not seem to bother any of the other corals...zoas will close up briefly, but open up again after the crabs move on.

Any suggestions on why it is not opening up, or a better location might be in my tank would be appreciated.

Below are some pics of the duncan and the surrounding corals...(just ignore the algae ;P I still need to get a better scraper for the back wall of the tank....lol.)

20221030_074909.jpg

20221030_074814.jpg

20221030_074146.jpg

Other corals in the area:

20221030_075026.jpg

20221030_075019.jpg

Side note...what are all the white dots on the rocks and walls of the tank? I assumed they were snail eggs, but some of them have been there for over a month...

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First the easy part. White specs are spirorbid worms. Harmless.

Duncan is a harder question. What are your parameters? You say good but that doesn’t help anyone diagnose the problem. What you deem good may not be what others deem good.

How old is the tank?

Did you put the Duncan where it is now right away?

What lights? You list PAR but not what spectrum, schedule, etc.

Did you get it locally? What conditions did they have it in?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got a frag of GSP it didn't open for 3 weeks! I thought I was a complete reefing failure but then it opened and took off like gangbusters. I think corals just need time to adjust to each and everyone's tank's individual parameters; as long as your parameters are within bounds. I just want to throw that in there as long as your numbers are lookin good...

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First the easy part. White specs are spirorbid worms. Harmless.

Duncan is a harder question. What are your parameters? You say good but that doesn’t help anyone diagnose the problem. What you deem good may not be what others deem good.

How old is the tank?

Did you put the Duncan where it is now right away?

What lights? You list PAR but not what spectrum, schedule, etc.

Did you get it locally? What conditions did they have it in?
THanks for the prompt reply!

As for parameters:
Salinity - 36
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 4
Phosphate - 0 (I can't seem to get this one up even with over feeding the tank)
KH - 7.3
Ca - 460
Mg - 1250
pH - 8.15
Temp - 77.8

The tank is about 5 months old, and the duncan has been in this location since I added it to the tank. The duncan was purchased from ARC during live sale event here on R2R.

The lights are Fluval Sea Marine (20 gal tank with two lights)
Light schedule: Blue/Cyan/purple are on the same schedule
Screenshot_20221030-085336_FluvalSmart.jpg

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks for the prompt reply!

As for parameters:
Salinity - 36
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 4
Phosphate - 0 (I can't seem to get this one up even with over feeding the tank)
KH - 7.3
Ca - 460
Mg - 1250
pH - 8.15
Temp - 77.8

Nothing crazy looking here. Long term having 0 phosphate could be an issue but I wouldn't think in such a short time it would lead to the duncan not opening.

You mentioned low to moderate flow for the tank but what about that spot in particular? I know in my tank there are areas of drastic flow difference due to the rockwork, glass deflection, and powerhead placement. My Duncan is in decently strong flow but it doesn't' seem bothered.

Three weeks without opening does seem a bit long but it could be adjusting still, like Token_Reefer said. If it still shows no signs of opening in a few more days I'd move it down to a shadier spot, preferably with different flow and see how it behaves.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... other than the first 2-3 days after initial placement, the duncan has still not opened up, going on eight weeks now.

water parameters measured yesterday:
Temp- 77.6
Salinity- 36
nitrates- 1
phosphates- <0.03
Ca- 450
Mg- 1260
pH- 8.0
KH- 8.3

Since my last post I have added another small duncan, a frogspawn and a hammer coral to the tank, and they all seem to be adjusting ok. The softies are all doing well also.

Nitrates and phosphates are still too low. So I have ordered some Neonitrate/Neophos to begin dosing.
With the addition of more LPS corals, I have also begun dosing All for Reef daily, starting at half the recommended dose.

Sorry for my poor videography..

The duncan still has healthy flesh with no visible skeleton, so I wait...but I am seriously concerned that it will not recover.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back