Need some help

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on my system. I thought i knew what I was doing... and apparently i do not. I have maintained a relatively successful reef tank for about 4 years before I moved and upgraded my system. Well my new system is coming up on 2 years and I can't seem to be able to keep corals alive. I have checked most of the obvious things and everything seems in line. My parameters are good, I have checked for toxins with ICP tests every other month. I have good light and what I think is adequate flow. I'm looking for an experienced reefer to give me some guidance. Ideally someone who lives near by and could stop by to help me troubleshoot what I am doing wrong. I live in Canton CT. I can pay for your time.

A.Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're okay playing someone there's also a couple people running businesses doing that. You can try Matt Brady at reef assist CT or Leslie Steinmetz Aquarium Services Corp. I know there's others I'm not thinking of. Your local fish store might offer a service.

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I did try my lfs but didn't get any advice I haven't already considered.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're supposed to test it set at 120 ac voltage

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see that as an option.

Attachments

• multi.jpg
    multi.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 25

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200v is fine for that specific meter.

You should test each one of your tanks independently, and also your sump, even though they are all combined into one central sump. It’s also a good idea to turn everything on including heaters (basically remove everything from auto on/off, to manual on, just for testing) and/or test at various times throughout the day. You might get one reading in the morning and I completely different one mid-day as opposed to morning or night time.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not super familiar with this but if he has a grounding plug in use should that be pulled out and disconnected before testing?

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the s changes are you implementing? Also what’s your equipment list? How often are you doing maintenance?

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I will retest again with everything on.

Some of the things I am doing is increasing my flow. Cleaning up the sand bed and manually removing GHA. Turning my roller filter back online. Ordering a larger CUC and a lot more pods.

My system comprises of a 72 x 30 x 22 tank and a 30 x 30 x 22 tank plumbed together into a basement sump. The smaller tank has 2 mp40s and a AI hydra 32 light.

The larger tank has 2 MP40s and now 2 Tunze Stream 6255s. I was running with just the 2 MP40s and one Tunze and they were all pretty dirty. Somehow I did not notice my flow was non existent. After cleaning all the powerheads and adding the 2nd Tunze the flow looks pretty good. For light i use 3 Radion xr30 Blues. G5s

I have an Avast skimmer which i built myself. It is quite undersized for the system so over the next 2 months I will be looking to upgrade it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I will retest again with everything on.

Some of the things I am doing is increasing my flow. Cleaning up the sand bed and manually removing GHA. Turning my roller filter back online. Ordering a larger CUC and a lot more pods.

My system comprises of a 72 x 30 x 22 tank and a 30 x 30 x 22 tank plumbed together into a basement sump. The smaller tank has 2 mp40s and a AI hydra 32 light.

The larger tank has 2 MP40s and now 2 Tunze Stream 6255s. I was running with just the 2 MP40s and one Tunze and they were all pretty dirty. Somehow I did not notice my flow was non existent. After cleaning all the powerheads and adding the 2nd Tunze the flow looks pretty good. For light i use 3 Radion xr30 Blues. G5s

I have an Avast skimmer which i built myself. It is quite undersized for the system so over the next 2 months I will be looking to upgrade it.
Hi, what type of coral are in question?

Yes, 200v is the setting you want to test. If you are using a grounding probe you will/could have stray and you should be using a gfci. A grounding probe can also be a titanium heater if using one.

Have you figured anything out yet?

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a GFCI. I do use Titanium Heaters... should i unplug them during the test?

I think it's a number of things. I think my flow was too low. Lots of algae even though nitrates and phosphates are undetectable... due to algae consuming it. Biome seems still immature even after close to 2 years.

I have been advised to do some of the following and have been implementing these changes.

Increased flow.
Put my roller filter back online.
stirred up the sand bed to remove any detritus hiding in there.
Scrubbed the algae off the rocks and walls.
Added a large clean up crew
Added lots of pods.
removed red and green from my lights to decrease algae growth

Next things are to upgrade my skimmer. I will also be adding UV. I also sent a sample of my RODI for testing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back