Need some skimmer help, stumped.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, ha! I got it to calm down a little but I have taken it out and switched over to an algae turf scrubber. My values have remained constant except for my phosphate which has gone down.

On the plus side, it's easy and there is no risk of overflowing. On the negative side it's noisier (but I haven't messed with it to try and get the noise down).

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. The skim is insane!!!!! I've never owned such a great skimmer. It's like I have milk in the neck. You can adjust that skimmer in 3 different places. It's like I can fine toon it to perfection.
2556c2ea2a79bde9a97b696df081bdb1.jpg
I have the 150, but only know of 2 adjustments. Pray tell, what is the third? (please dont say elevating the thing :)

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious... did your skimmer ever calm down?
Yes, I turned it off for a week, did 2 10% water changes and it was fine again. I had to adjust it once or twice with the next week. All is back to normal. It was very frustrating though!

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious... did your skimmer ever calm down?
Don't know why the other guy answered but yes and no. I turned the pump speed down and have been able to sort of dial it in for a good skim. I can only usually run the pump at 2 or 3 with valve wide open. Used to be able to run at 4 or 5 and partially close valve.

I have so many other problems with the wood glue fumes and the dino-x that what it's making now is tolerable.

Part of me thinks the the DC pump on it never comes back at same speed after I shut it off when I clean.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of ATS did you get? Did you buy one or go DIY?
The Husband tried to build one. [That didn't work] So I bought a HOG upflow algae scrubber from Santa Monica filtration. It's reasonably priced (compared to most of the commercially available options). The noise is from bubbles. Instead of moving water DOWN the ATS it bubbles air across the surface for algae growth.

Since then @Bulk Reef Supply posted their videos using Chaeto. I wish I'd seen them before I invested in the ATS. Look like my money could have been spend buying a quality light and just using chaeto in the sump.

That's the thing about this hobby, there's always more to learn!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that if you keep the top part of the UAS slightly above the water, the bubbles will break the surface of the water within the scrubber box and reduce the noise and salt creep significantly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back