Need some skimmer help, stumped.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 5 months ago I bought a Reef Octopus Elite 150 skimmer. Ran it for a couple days in vinegar and it was working perfect, making nice dark skim for about 2 months. Then out of nowhere something changed. It's now, at its driest skim setting, and dialed back to 4 on the DC pump control, it fills the cup in a day or two with barely skimmed water. Yes it has a little something in it but nothing like it was. I had it about half way with Max on the pump before when it was working great.

I called coral vue and they were extremely rude. Most likely never buy a product from them again. They insisted theres something in my water. The way they did it is why I was so annoyed but that's another story. Maybe they're right but nothing on my water parameters has changed. Rodi water is zero tds always. Even changed to a different bucket of salt to check, same results. Nothing I do changes this.

Its in 7 1/4" water per recommendation.

The reason I had called coralvue is because I had taken it apart to clean around this time and wondered if something wasn't right with reassembly. They wouldn't even hear it insisting it is my water.

My corals are all doing very well along with the fish.

Here is a couple stills and a video on lowest setting.

f8cdd2d279bebbd959c2793ea08599b2.jpg
820b6261ccb7fc5d908b41e3f67ade10.jpg
be220b7469a80135a9802a2f270f8974.jpg

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the venturi? Or the pump? Have you changed your feeding habits?
No change in feeding habits or anything with tank at all. That's why I lean towards something hardware. Ive taken it apart 3 times since and everything seems normal . Documentation is non existent for this product.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change in feeding habits or anything with tank at all. That's why I lean towards something hardware. Ive taken it apart 3 times since and everything seems normal . Documentation is non existent for this product.
Im certainly no expert, I'm going to follow along and hope to learn something.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble plate in correctly?
No cracked hoses?
Pump is seated properly?

Just shooting from the hip here

So are u on the same setting as before or u lowered it?
Any change in bio pellets or what u were dosing?

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video

Bubble plate in correctly?
No cracked hoses?
Pump is seated properly?

Just shooting from the hip here

So are u on the same setting as before or u lowered it?
Any change in bio pellets or what u were dosing?

Pump is good, its external and o ring is there.

The pump has 1-5. I was always on 5 when it was skimming well. I have backed it down to 4 to slow the skim.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get video from my phone and cant get it to work. Tried through photobucket and dropbox but no help.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube

And I run and so does a friend of mine our regals at number three and we produce this
IMG_0833.JPG
in a day and a half

Never took it above three

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought based on my experience with other skimmers that suddenly go on the fritz. Make sure the venturi is clear of salt creep. Remove the airline tube from the venturi and pick at it with a toothpick to make sure it's clear of any build up. A simple vinegar soak won't be enough to clear that part if it's clogged.

I really hope that's the issue cuz once cleaned out, it should work like new again.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought based on my experience with other skimmers that suddenly go on the fritz. Make sure the venturi is clear of salt creep. Remove the airline tube from the venturi and pick at it with a toothpick to make sure it's clear of any build up. A simple vinegar soak won't be enough to clear that part if it's clogged.

I really hope that's the issue cuz once cleaned out, it should work like new again.

Ok, im gonna try that now.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, took the pump all apart. Don't see anything out of ordinary. Cleaned it all, especially the venturi. Nothing looked very dirty to start with.

Another piece of the puzzle is after i turn it back on it always is low, then ramps up. I think my other skimmer did the same thing.

Here is pic of it about a minute after I turned it back on.

20170314_210019_zpsv5mnkimo.jpg
20170314_210019_zpsv5mnkimo.jpg

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could raise it so it was in only 6" of water (recommended 6-8") , but that seems like a band aid as it was working fine.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run for a few days without fiddling with it too much just to see where we are at from here... if it doesn't improve, we'll keep trying to troubleshoot it from a distance. :)

By the way, back to your water... no new super glued frags or anything lately, right? :D

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0984.PNG

And the Tee is installed according to the direction of? And it's assembled this way?

If so let it go for a couple of days u have to think u got oils and all in it so u have to let it re break in

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A venturi usually just needs a good cleaning unless it is physically broken. All a venturi is is a restriction with a hole to suck in air. Not much can go wrong with it except for it can get clogged. Maybe a lose air tube but unlikely. Heres the thing if it were a lose hose it should suck more air and less water which is the opposite of what you are experiencing. If the venturi is partially clogged it would restrict the air causing it pump more water into the skimmer. That sounds logical. Also did you have this issue before or after you cleaned the skimmer?

Another thing to check is the ambient air around the tank any changes there? I have heard of people adding those misting air fresheners to the room and that will cause the skimmer to go nuts. Its really a process of elimination start with the skimmer itself if it is properly assembled with everything seated properly then check the venturi and clean it real good. Skimmer seems to be mechanically sound judging by the pics so again make sure everything is seated and clean. from there since I cant see your tank I will take your word for its not the water and rule that out. So from there you have a sound working skimmer and its not your water then you have to look at outside forces that could be effecting it. The only outside force I can think of would be the air going into the skimmer. Have you changed anything in the room or rest of the house that might have changed that may effect the air into the skimmer? Sometime its the smallest things that is all it takes. When was the last time you opened your windows and aired the house out to get fresh air going to the skimmer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back