OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run for a few days without fiddling with it too much just to see where we are at from here... if it doesn't improve, we'll keep trying to troubleshoot it from a distance. :)

By the way, back to your water... no new super glued frags or anything lately, right? :D
Nothing I can put a finger on. Ive put a frag here and there in but nothing very substantial.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0984.PNG

And the Tee is installed according to the direction of? And it's assembled this way?

If so let it go for a couple of days u have to think u got oils and all in it so u have to let it re break in
My problem with the tee is yes the Arrows are lined up. But it doesn't mean much, it's just alignment for the scale on the ring. It seems stupid u have to hold the tee to adjust the red pipe.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A venturi usually just needs a good cleaning unless it is physically broken. All a venturi is is a restriction with a hole to suck in air. Not much can go wrong with it except for it can get clogged. Maybe a lose air tube but unlikely. Heres the thing if it were a lose hose it should suck more air and less water which is the opposite of what you are experiencing. If the venturi is partially clogged it would restrict the air causing it pump more water into the skimmer. That sounds logical. Also did you have this issue before or after you cleaned the skimmer?

Another thing to check is the ambient air around the tank any changes there? I have heard of people adding those misting air fresheners to the room and that will cause the skimmer to go nuts. Its really a process of elimination start with the skimmer itself if it is properly assembled with everything seated properly then check the venturi and clean it real good. Skimmer seems to be mechanically sound judging by the pics so again make sure everything is seated and clean. from there since I cant see your tank I will take your word for its not the water and rule that out. So from there you have a sound working skimmer and its not your water then you have to look at outside forces that could be effecting it. The only outside force I can think of would be the air going into the skimmer. Have you changed anything in the room or rest of the house that might have changed that may effect the air into the skimmer? Sometime its the smallest things that is all it takes. When was the last time you opened your windows and aired the house out to get fresh air going to the skimmer.
Nothing in the air has changed that I can tell. Doors and windows open about 5 hours a day. Live in Florida.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recently? Did you use superglue gel and / or epoxy putty to secure the frags?
Problem is this has been going on for 6 weeks. I use both super glue gel and epoxy as I always have. I have 50 other frags in there that have caused no problems. Exact brand of glue and epoxy all the others are.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past 6 weeks if you've been regularly adding frags here or there, that may be causing your skimmer to go nuts. My skimmer goes nuts for about 3 to four days whenever I use putty or glue in my tank when I glue down frags. Once cured after a few days, it settles down. Not saying this is that cause, but it very well could be the smoking gun.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past 6 weeks if you've been regularly adding frags here or there, that may be causing your skimmer to go nuts. My skimmer goes nuts for about 3 to four days whenever I use putty or glue in my tank when I glue down frags. Once cured after a few days, it settles down. Not saying this is that cause, but it very well could be the smoking gun.
In the last 6 weeks probably added 5 frags. None in last 2 weeks. Not saying this isn't it but none of the other 40 have done anything.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other 40, where they all at once in the beginning? Or were those 40 spread out over the course of 2 months when the skimmer was working well?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying this is the case but this happened to me once. Though, it didn't persist for 6 weeks! Since the air was dry, i was regularly using a non scented water based lotion on my hands. Knowing in the back of my mind that I should always wash my hands, I still neglected to do so during one day of tank cleaning and water change. The result was the same as you. However, the excessive skimming only happened that one time, I couldn't use the skimmer for some 8 hours. Eventually it stopped.

That said, I've experienced this too with a slight over feeding of phyto and zooplankton that contained amino acids. However, THAT only lasted maybe an hour. Again, other additives can contribute as well. What are you dosing and/or feeding the tank?

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, really!?! That is known to be one of the most temperamental skimmers ever made! My buddy sold his after months of trying to adjust it to no avail.

I love mine. The skim is insane!!!!! I've never owned such a great skimmer. It's like I have milk in the neck. You can adjust that skimmer in 3 different places. It's like I can fine toon it to perfection.
2556c2ea2a79bde9a97b696df081bdb1.jpg

Saltdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having skimmer problems too. I think I found out that my return pump was not moving enough water though the sump. I put a new pump in and my skimmer is doing great. Is that a possibility?

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having skimmer problems too. I think I found out that my return pump was not moving enough water though the sump. I put a new pump in and my skimmer is doing great. Is that a possibility?
No, have a vectra at 90 on a 140.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troubleshooting is like throwing darts at a dartboard... Are you feeding any less? Have less fish bioload? I dunno. Maybe try not adding any more frags for a few weeks and don't tinker with the skimmer for that same period of time and see if it settles down eventually.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a frag in my tank and used the frag puddy for the first time and I thought my skimmer broke. It did exactly what the op pictures looked like. After I realized what the cause was I took the opportunity to take the skimmer out, cleaned it and I didn't turn it on for 3 days. I turned it back on, had to adjust it a little and back to normal. I hope you get your skimmer running! It's actually a good skimmer. As for Coralvue, well that's hit or miss depending on who you get. I've had great service and I've had horrible service!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back