Need some thoughts and opinions on return pump decision.

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of planning my 180gal build. I'm going to have a 125gal sump under it. The tank is drilled for 2 returns. I'm looking at the fluval sp6 for the return pump. Would this pump be adequate for pushing both returns or should I get 1 pump for each return and run them independently. I'm going to have approximately 7 feet of head. With the return lines being ¾". Other pump recommendations are definitely welcome, it will just need to be a submersible pump.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of using two pumps regardless of brand. They all can and will fail one day, but it’s not likely they will both fail on the same day which will give you time to replace the pump. The 3/4 plumbing is going to cause a ton of friction and loss. I would plumb it with at minimum 1” or 1-1/4” all the way up to the bulkhead then step down to 3/4. I used 2” from my pump up to the bulkheads then stepped down to 1”

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want DC and want specific flow, i would go with red dragon.
I switched to red dragon 80watt it's awesome and much better head pressure flow.
I did bunch of slow testing for many of the common pumps in the market using flowmeter on the same setup. I was shocked of how bad most if the pumps in the market once you introduce simple head pressure.
Red dragon and abyzz came spot on, their data sheet gave the flow against head pressure and it was spot on.
If you want AC, you cannot go wrong with sicce. I used syncra's for a long time they were all good.
I never used fuval so I cannot speak to it.

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of planning my 180gal build. I'm going to have a 125gal sump under it. The tank is drilled for 2 returns. I'm looking at the fluval sp6 for the return pump. Would this pump be adequate for pushing both returns or should I get 1 pump for each return and run them independently. I'm going to have approximately 7 feet of head. With the return lines being ¾". Other pump recommendations are definitely welcome, it will just need to be a submersible pump.

The Fluval SP6 that you are looking at getting will work out perfectly for your situation. It is inexpensive and readily available in case you need another. If you are like me, you will quickly realize that you do not adjust a DC pump once it is setup. I had a DC pump on my frag tank and a Fluval SP6 on the display. I now am using all Fluval pumps when necessary. They just work.

OP
OP
kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want DC and want specific flow, i would go with red dragon.
I switched to red dragon 80watt it's awesome and much better head pressure flow.
I did bunch of slow testing for many of the common pumps in the market using flowmeter on the same setup. I was shocked of how bad most if the pumps in the market once you introduce simple head pressure.
Red dragon and abyzz came spot on, their data sheet gave the flow against head pressure and it was spot on.
If you want AC, you cannot go wrong with sicce. I used syncra's for a long time they were all good.
I never used fuval so I cannot speak to it.

Unfortunately the red dragons and abyzz pumps are a little out of by price range. I would absolutely love one of these pumps but just can't get there on price. I've looked at the Sicce pumps in the past and will revisit them again for comparison with the sp6. I have heard good things about the sp6 which is what got me there on using it. I was originally looking at the Sicce.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back