Need tips for new aquarium/ Model comparison

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off my space and needs, these are the five tanks I am comparing right now.

Waterbox Marine 90.3
Red Sea 250 G2
Innovative INT 70
Opus G2 300
Fiji Cube 57 gallon (36"L)

These all come as package deals with the stand and sump. My biggest concern is room next to the sump. I have an Apex Neptune system with a trident and dose two different chemicals. I would need around 10-12" L to allow for all this. If you own one of these tanks, please post a shot of the sump area and let me know what kind of free space you have. Also comments on the tanks quality, likes and dislikes are all welcomed.

Thanks friends!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to throw the king of 'package deals' into the mix as well; the Cade Reef 900 S2. As for build quality, nothing gets close.

You can even get a 'caddy'-cabinet in the same style if you are concerned about storage space.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess some more detail would be nice. The tank has to be around 36"L... height and width dont matter as much, although 24" D and 24" H would be ideal. My budget is around $2100, thus being the reason I selected that list of aquariums.

In speaking to the guys at innovative, there is only 4" of free room on the sides of the sump, and they dont offer a build with a smaller sump (despite manufacturing one that would be smaller). I could purchase from them all the components separately, but the cost goes way up as it would no longer be a bundle deal. This may eliminate them from the running.

CasperOe, than you for the suggestion, but at approx $1300 higher than the most expensive tank on my list, this is not a financially viable option for me.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess some more detail would be nice. The tank has to be around 36"L... height and width dont matter as much, although 24" D and 24" H would be ideal. My budget is around $2100, thus being the reason I selected that list of aquariums.

In speaking to the guys at innovative, there is only 4" of free room on the sides of the sump, and they dont offer a build with a smaller sump (despite manufacturing one that would be smaller). I could purchase from them all the components separately, but the cost goes way up as it would no longer be a bundle deal. This may eliminate them from the running.

CasperOe, than you for the suggestion, but at approx $1300 higher than the most expensive tank on my list, this is not a financially viable option for me.
Fair enough mate! :) Only one on the list I have experience with; have the 1200 but the available cabinet/control space is the same.

I hope you find what you're looking for, the process of buying a new tank is almost as exiting as setting it up :p

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough mate! :) Only one on the list I have experience with; have the 1200 but the available cabinet/control space is the same.

I hope you find what you're looking for, the process of buying a new tank is almost as exiting as setting it up :p
I have been reefing for close to 25 years, so this process is old hat for me. Over the years I have slowly built up the gear I have always dreamed of. I really love this process… and like any good reefer I have learned that patience is the key to it all. That’s why there is no rush, I want to make sure I get what fits my needs. Thank you so much for participating in my thread!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea 300? Tank is 36"l x 23"w x 22"h will give you more room than the 250 and still close to budget. I was able to get mine xl 300 G2 in February for $2100 OTD. Paying cash has some advantages when dealing with a lfs ;)
Not neat but this is the 300 sump area I have an external ato reservoir
16950580293604731619127693007045.jpg

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately from what I can tell, the Waterbox sump takes up the entire bottom of the stand. This may eliminate them and Innovative. Really scratching my head as to why these companies wouldn’t allow for additional equipment. I understand the additional water volume is nice, but I still think some space would be nice. I think a 2’ sump on a 3’ tank should be plenty.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea 300? Tank is 36"l x 23"w x 22"h will give you more room than the 250 and still close to budget. I was able to get mine xl 300 G2 in February for $2100 OTD. Paying cash has some advantages when dealing with a lfs ;)
Not neat but this is the 300 sump area I have an external ato reservoir
16950580293604731619127693007045.jpg
Great information! Thank you so much for the post!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off my space and needs, these are the five tanks I am comparing right now.

Waterbox Marine 90.3
Red Sea 250 G2
Innovative INT 70
Opus G2 300
Fiji Cube 57 gallon (36"L)

These all come as package deals with the stand and sump. My biggest concern is room next to the sump. I have an Apex Neptune system with a trident and dose two different chemicals. I would need around 10-12" L to allow for all this. If you own one of these tanks, please post a shot of the sump area and let me know what kind of free space you have. Also comments on the tanks quality, likes and dislikes are all welcomed.

Thanks friends!
I have two fijicube 48g and a 11g, I like the way they look the water height is a little low in the ext versions I can't say for the int, I have one sump from them that comes with the tank and has enough room to the side of it I'm sure they pair the sumps accordingly to leave room i wish i went up a size with the sump. I have noticed the glass scratches easily but not much different than other tanks it could be my luck, the stand build quality is pretty good for a manufactured stand overall I like their product but honestly I wouldn't get another one if I was starting a new tank and I would build my own stand again as my wood built stands are "stronger" I feel, these stands that come with tanks have that ikea like feel to me imo, but its a lot less work and gets the job done but no running around or leaning on the stand please! lol good luck

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fijicube 48g and a 11g, I like the way they look the water height is a little low in the ext versions I can't say for the int, I have one sump from them that comes with the tank and has enough room to the side of it I'm sure they pair the sumps accordingly to leave room i wish i went up a size with the sump. I have noticed the glass scratches easily but not much different than other tanks it could be my luck, the stand build quality is pretty good for a manufactured stand overall I like their product but honestly I wouldn't get another one if I was starting a new tank and I would build my own stand again as my wood built stands are "stronger" I feel, these stands that come with tanks have that ikea like feel to me imo, but its a lot less work and gets the job done but no running around or leaning on the stand please! lol good luck
I built my last stand, and let’s just say, I’m no carpenter lol. I have been nervous about that stand since day one. I would prefer to let someone else do it for me. Coming from a manufacturing background, I would assume regardless of how the stands “feel”, they are likely built to hold far more than they do. I could be wrong, but aluminum reinforcement goes a long way inside a wooden frame. Thanks for your input and insight! Very much appreciated.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest looking into the prostar v2 90? Dimensions are 36x20x22
Stand is solid metal frame with replaceable mdf/wood panels. Plus points for me are sump is acrylic and pipes use standard ie not metric pipe fittings.

I am considering one of these in the future when it’s time for me to upsize from my 32+10 gal cube tank

The video shows the tank being setup and from what I can see half the stand area is left empty.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back