Nem not bubbling solved ?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question that no one was able to find an answer to for decades ; "WHY IS MY BTA TENTACLES NOT BUBBLED " .
and I believe that I have one of the many reasons
I had 4 nems over the years , but the same clown ( keep that in mind it will be useful later )
so I get a healthy specimen of BTA properly acclimate it spot feed it , parameters spot on but my clown still didn't host it .
well HOST IT ALREADY CLOWN , a couple days later clown hosts it , guess what not so yay BTA ISNT BUBBLED UP ANYMORE .
me filled with devastation not knowing why and gave up , one month later clown was acting like a jerk so he was in a "time out"
and guess what (what ?) BTA bubbled again .
I repeated the same scenario with 4 nems and the same clown , identical results .

in conclusion : clowns (especially lightning maroons) can bother nems if they are so rough moving or if the nem is small .
sorry for wasting your time but thought its smthn worth to share.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question that no one was able to find an answer to for decades ; "WHY IS MY BTA TENTACLES NOT BUBBLED " .
and I believe that I have one of the many reasons
I had 4 nems over the years , but the same clown ( keep that in mind it will be useful later )
so I get a healthy specimen of BTA properly acclimate it spot feed it , parameters spot on but my clown still didn't host it .
well HOST IT ALREADY CLOWN , a couple days later clown hosts it , guess what not so yay BTA ISNT BUBBLED UP ANYMORE .
me filled with devastation not knowing why and gave up , one month later clown was acting like a jerk so he was in a "time out"
and guess what (what ?) BTA bubbled again .
I repeated the same scenario with 4 nems and the same clown , identical results .

in conclusion : clowns (especially lightning maroons) can bother nems if they are so rough moving or if the nem is small .
sorry for wasting your time but thought its smthn worth to share.
for the record my lfs had a BTA with 4 maroons , same results

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clownfish and mine still bubble. In my tank right now, I have 3, and 1 is half bubbled, the other 2 are not.

The one that is half bubbled is just under the stronger flow, but is spreading out to get more light. Because the flow is a little higher up there, it seems they bubble to stiffen up a little. Also the flow under it is in the opposite direction for the most part.

Never specifically tried to get them to bubble up or not, as I really don't mind either way. I still think they look awesome.

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found higher flow makes them stretch out. Maybe the clowns do the same thing. Why are we assuming that the clown is irritating it? I would propose the nem is reaching to host the clown and make it happy.

ColdWafflez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rose BTA that I had recently acquired went from longer tentacles to starting to bubble up swollen when I went from marine 3.0 lights to XR15. So I would assume that they start to bubble to increase their surface area to collect more light

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back