Nem not bubbling solved ?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2021
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
3,227
Location
E
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question that no one was able to find an answer to for decades ; "WHY IS MY BTA TENTACLES NOT BUBBLED " .
and I believe that I have one of the many reasons
I had 4 nems over the years , but the same clown ( keep that in mind it will be useful later )
so I get a healthy specimen of BTA properly acclimate it spot feed it , parameters spot on but my clown still didn't host it .
well HOST IT ALREADY CLOWN , a couple days later clown hosts it , guess what not so yay BTA ISNT BUBBLED UP ANYMORE .
me filled with devastation not knowing why and gave up , one month later clown was acting like a jerk so he was in a "time out"
and guess what (what ?) BTA bubbled again .
I repeated the same scenario with 4 nems and the same clown , identical results .

in conclusion : clowns (especially lightning maroons) can bother nems if they are so rough moving or if the nem is small .
sorry for wasting your time but thought its smthn worth to share.
 
A question that no one was able to find an answer to for decades ; "WHY IS MY BTA TENTACLES NOT BUBBLED " .
and I believe that I have one of the many reasons
I had 4 nems over the years , but the same clown ( keep that in mind it will be useful later )
so I get a healthy specimen of BTA properly acclimate it spot feed it , parameters spot on but my clown still didn't host it .
well HOST IT ALREADY CLOWN , a couple days later clown hosts it , guess what not so yay BTA ISNT BUBBLED UP ANYMORE .
me filled with devastation not knowing why and gave up , one month later clown was acting like a jerk so he was in a "time out"
and guess what (what ?) BTA bubbled again .
I repeated the same scenario with 4 nems and the same clown , identical results .

in conclusion : clowns (especially lightning maroons) can bother nems if they are so rough moving or if the nem is small .
sorry for wasting your time but thought its smthn worth to share.
for the record my lfs had a BTA with 4 maroons , same results
 
I have 2 clownfish and mine still bubble. In my tank right now, I have 3, and 1 is half bubbled, the other 2 are not.

The one that is half bubbled is just under the stronger flow, but is spreading out to get more light. Because the flow is a little higher up there, it seems they bubble to stiffen up a little. Also the flow under it is in the opposite direction for the most part.

Never specifically tried to get them to bubble up or not, as I really don't mind either way. I still think they look awesome.
 
I have found higher flow makes them stretch out. Maybe the clowns do the same thing. Why are we assuming that the clown is irritating it? I would propose the nem is reaching to host the clown and make it happy.
 
My rose BTA that I had recently acquired went from longer tentacles to starting to bubble up swollen when I went from marine 3.0 lights to XR15. So I would assume that they start to bubble to increase their surface area to collect more light
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new