Neobenedenia

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carl, I read the entire over again. I see it started with your conclusion you are treating Neobenedenia- everything else was based off that being true. Are you 100% confident you are dealing with Neo? If so, IMO hyposalinity is your best recourse.
That said, it is CRITICAL that you measure your salinity accurately, using two different methods that are in agreement...if your test is off, there is no margin of error. Also, monitor ammonia during this. You are doing hypo on a tank that hasn’t been exposed to it, and there may be worms, pods etc in the rock that may die off (like the hermits we discussed).
Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carl, I read the entire over again. I see it started with your conclusion you are treating Neobenedenia- everything else was based off that being true. Are you 100% confident you are dealing with Neo? If so, IMO hyposalinity is your best recourse.
That said, it is CRITICAL that you measure your salinity accurately, using two different methods that are in agreement...if your test is off, there is no margin of error. Also, monitor ammonia during this. You are doing hypo on a tank that hasn’t been exposed to it, and there may be worms, pods etc in the rock that may die off (like the hermits we discussed).
Jay
I totally understand and appreciate all your time and advice, having trouble with testing ph my apex telling me 8.3 then I do API PH test and get 7.2, then I boost it with buffer get apex reading of 8.53 with same water I do a Salifert PH test and get 8.0 reading. don't know which one to believe salinity down to ,018 ammonia up aliitle spike order gallon of Frizt 9 bacteria . Any suggestions on ph reading can the drop cause the chemical test for ph to be lower since the apex ph is 8.3 to 8.5. Thanks and appreciate any input have know one else to ask for advice, Thanks Carl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measuring pH can be a bit of a trick - but getting different readings with that much variance is unusual - 7.2 for API. 8.0 for Salifert and Apex +8.3 is weird! I use a pH meter that I standardize with a 3 point buffer before taking a reading. Can you calibrate your Apex? Ammonia is much more toxic at higher pH levels, so it is important to know where you are at. A pH of 7.5 for a fish-only system with ammonia is actually better. Inverts are more affected by low pH than fish are.

As I said, salinity/SG is your primary focus right now - you need to get it into the proper zone for hypo to treat the Neo, but not to go too low or high due to a bad reading. I have a laboratory grade German hydrometer that I use for all critical SG measurements...but I'll still take multiple readings from different devices to try and get some sort of consensus from them.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measuring pH can be a bit of a trick - but getting different readings with that much variance is unusual - 7.2 for API. 8.0 for Salifert and Apex +8.3 is weird! I use a pH meter that I standardize with a 3 point buffer before taking a reading. Can you calibrate your Apex? Ammonia is much more toxic at higher pH levels, so it is important to know where you are at. A pH of 7.5 for a fish-only system with ammonia is actually better. Inverts are more affected by low pH than fish are.

As I said, salinity/SG is your primary focus right now - you need to get it into the proper zone for hypo to treat the Neo, but not to go too low or high due to a bad reading. I have a laboratory grade German hydrometer that I use for all critical SG measurements...but I'll still take multiple readings from different devices to try and get some sort of consensus from them.

Jay
Thanks still trying to lower, down to .019 after 2 100 gallon water change, I was using .010 for the new water tomorrow Im only using RO water . Thanks calibrated apex PH now it reading 7.6, Thanks

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks still trying to lower, down to .019 after 2 100 gallon water change, I was using .010 for the new water tomorrow Im only using RO water . Thanks calibrated apex PH now it reading 7.6, Thanks
In your opinion what would be a good salinity to keep my fish only DT at once I'm done with hyposalinity. Thanks for your time Jay.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my fish-only systems at 1.022 SG, just to save a bit on salt cost.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "new fish", do you mean like new from the store? I wouldn't add anything that hasn't been fully quarantined - nasty things like Uronema and Amyloodinium are not affected by low salinity, and then you would have a real battle on your hands!

Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "new fish", do you mean like new from the store? I wouldn't add anything that hasn't been fully quarantined - nasty things like Uronema and Amyloodinium are not affected by low salinity, and then you would have a real battle on your hands!

Jay
Thanks Carl

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thanks Carl
Good evening just to let you know I started raising the salt level after 40 days. Everyone survived thank good, I have a couple of questions hoping you can give me the answer to. Is it any adn=vantage of keeping the salt level low around .018 for fish only, does it help combat parasites? And second I have a quarantine tank (10 gallons) with a couple of baby puffers and small clown trigger along with a baby rabbit fish. I suspect the rabbit fish of ick since I pulled him out of my 90 gallon display tank that has had no problems, Rabbit fish was in quarantine for 18 days apparently not long enough, is it a good Idea to drop salt down to .013 in tank for 30 days to make sure they are all free of parasites before entering them into my display tanks.

I want to thank you again for your help and please have a wonderful Holiday season.

Thanks Carl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening just to let you know I started raising the salt level after 40 days. Everyone survived thank good, I have a couple of questions hoping you can give me the answer to. Is it any adn=vantage of keeping the salt level low around .018 for fish only, does it help combat parasites? And second I have a quarantine tank (10 gallons) with a couple of baby puffers and small clown trigger along with a baby rabbit fish. I suspect the rabbit fish of ick since I pulled him out of my 90 gallon display tank that has had no problems, Rabbit fish was in quarantine for 18 days apparently not long enough, is it a good Idea to drop salt down to .013 in tank for 30 days to make sure they are all free of parasites before entering them into my display tanks.

I want to thank you again for your help and please have a wonderful Holiday season.

Thanks Carl
Hi Carl,
A specific gravity of 1.018 isn’t low enough to control disease, and may foster growth of Uronema. I prefer to keep fish at 1.022 or so.
For the rabbit fish - 1.013 is good for treating Neobenedenia, but for ich, you need to drop to 1.010. Going this low, you need to ensure that your measuring device is really accurate.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Carl,
A specific gravity of 1.018 isn’t low enough to control disease, and may foster growth of Uronema. I prefer to keep fish at 1.022 or so.
For the rabbit fish - 1.013 is good for treating Neobenedenia, but for ich, you need to drop to 1.010. Going this low, you need to ensure that your measuring device is really accurate.
Jay
Good Morning I would like to ask you another question, in y Q-tank I have several small puffers for a few weeks I placed a rabbit fish yesterday y=that I suspect has ick. Can I give a fresh water bath to the puffers and place them in DT even if I place the one with ick a couple a days ago with them. they are clean as far as visible signs, Have a great Holiday season and thanks.
Carl

Is it a good idea to bring down the salt to .010 in Qt tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not risk moving the puffers. FW dips are really not 100% effective, so it is possible the puffers would move ich over to your DT.
Yes, a specific gravity of 1.010 will control ich in your QT, just don’t go below 1.009 or above 1.010 and make sure your measuring device is spot on accurate.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not risk moving the puffers. FW dips are really not 100% effective, so it is possible the puffers would move ich over to your DT.
Yes, a specific gravity of 1.010 will control ich in your QT, just don’t go below 1.009 or above 1.010 and make sure your measuring device is spot on accurate.
Jay
Thank You

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days at .010 for ick or less????
Sorry- missed this question, yes 30 days is pretty standard for hypo. Just raise it really slowly afterwards- 5 days or more.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more question I know I'm a pain in the behind since I assume Neobenedenia is back is it a good Idea to bring it down to .10 instead of .13 at least I know Im below .13 for 30 days for the Neobenedenia.

Thanks for your time and knowledge!!!! Carl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more question I know I'm a pain in the behind since I assume Neobenedenia is back is it a good Idea to bring it down to .10 instead of .13 at least I know Im below .13 for 30 days for the Neobenedenia.

Thanks for your time and knowledge!!!! Carl
A specific gravity of 1.010 will work of course, but it is riskier to the fish than 1.013 would be. For ich, people go as low as 1.009, but you must have a solidly accurate measuring device for that, one that you have utmost confidence in. I have a German glass laboratory hydrometer that I use to test my other devices against. Perhaps go to 1.011? That would ensure you are below 1.013, but not too low...

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back