OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blue tuxedo urchin just carries around ...
Just an update to my experiment with bleach. It did not eradicate it after one week, sad to report.
DId you dose bleach or nuke it w bleach

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I had this in a tank a few years ago growing out of the sandbed but never touched the rock. I thought it was beautiful and considered keeping it in there until I could get an idea, but nobody had a clue as to what it was. Pretty glad my better judgement saved me.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of 2018 Neomeris still holds the top spot as worst risk reef tank invader.

If someone ever writes an article on top invasions, nubs from hades are first, then dinos.

OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i can say in a short update i have moved and currently all but 4 rocks are dry and been so since 8/17. while dry sun bleeched several days and rotated while sunning. during teardown the system after livestock removal was dosed with a gallon of peroxide to circulate for 2 weeks. most neo ann appeared to die off. side note some crabs burrowed in sand survived this lol, i saved them as they came out. after that i poured a gallon of bleech 24 hours prior to teardown. currently the rock is dry overflowing an open brute can in sub freezing temps in my garage. 120 has sat dry since then (needs cleaned admittedly).

Scared to boot it back up with that rock and tank still

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of 2018 Neomeris still holds the top spot as worst risk reef tank invader.

If someone ever writes an article on top invasions, nubs from hades are first, then dinos.
I get dinos in the early stages of most of the tanks I've set up and can say that my experience with them is far more forgiving than bryopsis. No treatment had any effect on bryopsis for me, not even a full reboot of the tank, plus bleaching the tank, rock, and all equipment.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about fluc tho

Also, pls holler if you ever see that again in someone’s thread there’s a blending of techniques to try b4 shut down...rasping out the algae first at the roots with a knife, siphon remove out the rasped plant mass, then applying fluconazole

5% of bryopsis challenge tanks fail to respond to simple water dosing of the med the other 95 rasp and med w get em I hate that you had it. If beaten by any means/win

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No response to Fluc. No response to Tech M mag elevation to 1800+ for 3 months. Every coral was strangled at that point and reboot seemed like only option, but even that didn't work. Tank was trashed and rock was dumped in the back yard.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had taken pictures when it was happening, but I wasn't proud of the condition and hid it from the world in shame.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have same even though that’s us being too hard on selves

it was just a power strain that’s amazing and I have heard of them for sure, noncompliants occur in the big fluc threads even on the reefcentral one. It’s the best hedge out there but for plants that either mutated correctly/resistant to current ld50 group or are different species altogether there’s always a bryopsis tank the best tank tuners can’t beat.

Those rarer ones show up or post on a help thread where someone else got a cure and still leave invaded. I always hated having any percent leave unfixed and bryopsis darn sure did it a couple times over the years. In 2015 we had nothing man ha then fluconazole at least immediately handled nine of ten challenges

What you stated is why I’ll farm no algae, ever. Purple coralline and corals for me, no plants no detritus or I’ll dremel it out. I’ll even chunk a rock, though that’s eco offensive/extreme/motivated by prior invasion losses

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about fluc tho

Also, pls holler if you ever see that again in someone’s thread there’s a blending of techniques to try b4 shut down...rasping out the algae first at the roots with a knife, siphon remove out the rasped plant mass, then applying fluconazole

5% of bryopsis challenge tanks fail to respond to simple water dosing of the med the other 95 rasp and med w get em I hate that you had it. If beaten by any means/win

Have you tried the method that worked for me? Halloween, and tuxedo urchins (had 4 in a 55 gallon) one spot foxface. Then manually remove.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the method that worked for me? Halloween, and tuxedo urchins (had 4 in a 55 gallon) one spot foxface. Then manually remove.
Tank was only a 40 gallon so the foxface was a no go (at least long term, but I hate re-homing critters) and no urchins in this one.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe any invader has some form of grazer match/agreed

the key is wielding that for someone else in their thread...grazers at that point go murphy's law and prop up on the shovel vs actually dig, and one other detail stands out on the grazer aspect of curing:

that's a basic rasping action described...those animals aren't injecting a toxin that kills the plant. Their actually lightly rasping it...with the caveat that by living right above the mass they can be quick on new popups

that should be able to be easily replicated without the animals, basic rasping action using a tool can score the rock much better, what advantage would you see in those items vs standard manual removal options? also consider our reefcentral peroxide thread including neo battles show people removing their rocks, using a screwdriver up under it, rinsing the area in 35%, and getting growback :)

getting multiple cures in one place is where its at

the animals need to be removed a while for final assessment on the system and if they were able to graze it out then that's ideal.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back