OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole tank of happy fish, and happy neo ann. as you can see im loosing...
20161218_191931_zpsu9lih7d5.jpg

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(
dang that's bad.....

ideas;
  1. As I said before, soaking in 50/50 RODI / 3% H2O2 worked for me, maybe worth reading up on daily H2O2 dosing to combat that much as its on every rock.... worth a shot rather than a reboot.
  2. If you have any loose rock with it on take them out, rasp out the algae footholds and use H2o2 neat on them to kill any remaining organics...
  3. Its an algae, so deprive it of either nutrients ie use Lanthanum Chloride to strip out all PO4, or light.... place upturned cups/mugs/plates over any patches you can...
  4. generally use less lighting, feed less, remove what you can to try and reduce the speed of growth to buy some time while treating individual rocks....

OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read the spores of this stuff can live like 2 years dormant so basically kill it or risk return. this particular pest likes SPS conditions so phosphates and nitrates arent effective in its control.

I think reboot is best means to deal with it at this point. i have 65lbs rock in the system but a no light tank i can use in the 75 while the display rock is treated whichever way i come up with.

The 75 is going to be put back in service once things are normalized as is. it will go in wall upstairs and be plumbed into the existing fish room tanks so one fish room two displays. i already drilled the 75 and am prepping my glass order to do a coast to coast wier and a overflow box that will have a bean animal drain. both displays and fish room tanks will put me to about 235 gallons total capacity controlled by my cerebra run fish room.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this thread

Had some documented battles with neo

All went bad :)

For this tank if it were mine I'd be test rocking it considering the work of redo involved in a big tank

If I could get one test rock to respond with no regrowth, considering the rock's unique characters such as porosity and texture and nutrient reserves, that's enough to warrant no take down

One test rock can reveal in a month what your chances are

Rasping needs to be good and deep, where the metal tool needs to be stout, like a flat tip screwdriver for example

Rasping is anchor point damaging to remove a rooted offender... a dentist might leave us bleeding at times too as they rough handle plaques

We damage substrate and pull/rip out the anchored mass in a rasp pass, it's mean, go deep. Work a test rock like no tomorrow, put peroxide as cleanup directly on the spots you already Friday the 13'd

If a rock treated in that manner shows one nubbins growth after a month chuck it all

Of ten online neo invasions in our peroxide threads all ten lost. I believe some can win, multi variables are at play in a substrate invasion.

OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this thread

Had some documented battles with neo

All went bad :)

For this tank if it were mine I'd be test rocking it considering the work of redo involved in a big tank

If I could get one test rock to respond with no regrowth, considering the rock's unique characters such as porosity and texture and nutrient reserves, that's enough to warrant no take down

One test rock can reveal in a month what your chances are

Rasping needs to be good and deep, where the metal tool needs to be stout, like a flat tip screwdriver for example

Rasping is anchor point damaging to remove a rooted offender... a dentist might leave us bleeding at times too as they rough handle plaques

We damage substrate and pull/rip out the anchored mass in a rasp pass, it's mean, go deep. Work a test rock like no tomorrow, put peroxide as cleanup directly on the spots you already Friday the 13'd

If a rock treated in that manner shows one nubbins growth after a month chuck it all

Of ten online neo invasions in our peroxide threads all ten lost. I believe some can win, multi variables are at play in a substrate invasion.

Well the regrow is why i want to nuke it, and i have it on overflows and coraline covered glass so i fear even if i pitched the rock the tank environment still has spores.

I saw one thread where someone wanted to bleech the tank. this probably would do it i have 165 gallons in my system as is, id gas the house at the same time with that much chlorine gas off. Muranic acid may damage plastics and i dont want to know the cost of enough hydrogen peroxide to use that to nuke.

That leads back to an earlier theory of filling with ro waste water when i fill the 75 and turning the system to a saturated kalkwasser to nuke it. any thoughts on a kalk nuke

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the regrow is why i want to nuke it, and i have it on overflows and coraline covered glass so i fear even if i pitched the rock the tank environment still has spores.

I saw one thread where someone wanted to bleech the tank. this probably would do it i have 165 gallons in my system as is, id gas the house at the same time with that much chlorine gas off. Muranic acid may damage plastics and i dont want to know the cost of enough hydrogen peroxide to use that to nuke.

That leads back to an earlier theory of filling with ro waste water when i fill the 75 and turning the system to a saturated kalkwasser to nuke it. any thoughts on a kalk nuke
you might want to try algae fix or vibrant in separate container to see if it will work safely as an in tank treatments.

@mcarroll any good algae killers

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Drakonis, did you go thru with your plan?

OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i am still working on it. the 75 has been finished with bean animal drains, coast to coast wier, external glass overflow box. my cerebra is running it now its been cycled and has the last of my critters moved in for about a week ( catching some reluctant nems ) so next is the nuking. i can say no heater, no light and next to no circulation and this neo ann seems unphased. all there us left is a power head in the 120 main pump and sump sitting waiting for me to get the substrate removed and all the infested rock put back to run for the nuke. thinking i will run peroxide first i have a gallon of it that will go in all at once and let that cycle for a few days. after that full drain and rinse out before refill and run with bleach a few days before draining again and rinse out. next fill with plain water and run doing big plain water changes a few days to be sure i get things rinsed well enough. lastly i will replace all pvc plumbing, clean out all remaining coraline from glass and such, and rebuild the layout before replumb and fill to cycle.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my QT as an experiement with pieces of LR with neomeris on it. I put bleach in. Mini brittle star appear to be dying and swirling around. However, when I turned off the powerhead they all crawled back onto the rock. I will just continue to make observations and document my findings so I don't forget.
dose forumla I used I found on a bleaching for dinos thread.
.003 ➗ .0825 (bleach percent of 8.25%) = ml dosed two times daily. Dosing .7 ml twice daily.

OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i have no plans of tolerable dosing and trying to preserve anything. i am going to add enough to make a swimming pool look like a better home for neo ann lol

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG

This my experimental tank. This is the best image I could get of the neo with a bit of the other algae. They both made it thru the diflucan treatment so onto the next thing. My hope is to weaken the the neo and scrub the crud out of it while the system has enough bleach to kill spores, and broken pieces, and roots. I really do not want to destroy all the critters in the rock if I don't have to.
I had a crazy neo outbreak a few years ago. I was able to greatly improve it but this diflucan treatment seems to have fed the neo somehow.

Crazy Neo Outbreak from 2013

IMG_0832.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to toss an update on things, the 75 is running smooth. while progress on 120 reboot is slow (ill justify that by saying im enjoying the slow death of neo ann lol) i have added a gallon of h2o2 and things have largely turned white. missed snails have some interest for the story the stellatomas died within 30 min and while i thought the tank was lifeless after that and watching two aptasias i didnt know i had melt (satisfying) 2 weeks later i have snails emerging. also i had some rock in a brute container for 3 weeks prior to h2o2 and in the small amount of water in there from drain off of rock when i added it back to the 120 to nuke everything i found 3 hermits alive and well. so what i can catch is going into life boat but the survivers stories are intriquing to me mostly the snails as they tend to be thought of as tempermental.

As for contents of the 75, my frogspawn is larger than ever, my RBTAs are bigger than ever, my best frag of the purple plasma acro is encrusting the frag plug, the blasto is growing to the point its barely on the plug. i have small algae growth mostly on the glass but getting coraline growth on bare bottom. overall the thing is thriving, really got my attention in regards to the changes in this setup.

As for the actual setup ive learned a few things i will do different come opertunity in the transition once the 120 is ready. i like the coast to coast and full width spray bar so much im strongly thinking about a different tank for the 120 as mine is reef ready with overflows and i dont think i want them i wanna do another coast to coast with bean animal with my improvements list.

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I was lucky enough to fight with neo and "win". I tried h2o2 dip and algaefix with no success. I used to pull buckets of the stuff out of my tank. It was really horrible and made reefing really suck. Until, I picked up some blue tuxedo and a Halloween urchins. I also added a one spot foxface. Once I manually removed the neo, the urchins and foxface would take care of the stubble. Two tanks and 5 years later I'm still using the same rock. A couple of months ago 3 neo popped up but something chopped them down. Then some rogue encrusting monti grew over them. So I've "won" but they are not gone.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blue tuxedo urchin just carries around ...
Just an update to my experiment with bleach. It did not eradicate it after one week, sad to report.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back