NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spec Overview

Lighting: 2 AI Primes and a A350 and DIY Fixture
Sump: DIY 29G with a Sicce silent 3.0, single return, isolate fuge, sock and media area
Overflow: Fiji External Low Profile 800 GPH
Flow: 2x MP40QD
Automation: Reef-pi for outlet control, dosing, ATO, temp control and alerts. See my reef-pi build here! LINK
Stocking: 2 Mandrins, 2 clowns, Aiptasia-Eating Filefish, Urchin and a few peppermint shrimp
Coral: Larger variety but mainly Soft and LPS with some Monti up higher

Background

Freshwater cichlid tank was set up May 2019 and was my introduction into the hobby. I fell in love with the blending of automation (reef-pi user here) and the sea life and set up my first reef. I got rid of my cichlids due to space so plan to upgrade my 40 breeder reef to a 75 gallon tank.

Detailed Improvement Plan

Lighting: It will likely stay the same. I started with 2 AI Prime HD and then came across an ‘/oo old A350 from a friend I got for a favor sans mount. I rigged a DIY fixture out of PVC, the old prime rim mounts and some slotted steel plate. Luckily I can reuse this as I can just move the prime lights out a few slots to adjust for width.

Flow: I bought two cheap MP40QD from a friend and quickly realized this was far too much flow. I currently have a ton of larger rock structures, pockets of low flow and some coral getting blasted. These will work great on the new 75!

Aquascape: With the additional space I can rearrange the structures to allow for better flow distribution and prevent some stinging of close proximity coral. I also plan to incorporate a few coral encrusted glass skulls, broken sea glass (mom collects it) and can finally ditch the crushed coral (too high of flow).

Stand: The 75 currently sits on a wooden Marineland stand that I reenforced with a 2x4 and used polyurethane to seal the bottom.

Sump/Plumbing: The 40 was setup oversized with a 29G DIY sump with an isolated refugium so I can drop the flow down in that area. I have a Sicce Silent 3.0 which was oversized purposefully for this upgrade. I have decided to just re-cut/assemble the plumbing the plumbing which wasn’t a big project.

Thats enough for now but once I make some progressI will update with pics and additional changes.
IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving is going to be crazy as I have accumulated about 6-8 totes about 15-20 gallons of supplies. I was wondering if anyone familiar with moving larger tanks can answer the following.

Can I move the stand with the empty sump inside. It could slide but I could wedge it in place.
Similarly, can I place things inside the empty 75 gallon tank to save space? Side load or upright load?

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move day is tomorrow.
I have 8 totes of gear not counting what is on my tanks now. I have 6 buckets of SW and a 20 gallon tote for the majority of my 40 breeder stock so add in a couple buckets for whatever doesnt fit. Thats not even including the RODI, electronics, ect ect. Not sure how I am going to fit it into two trucks but we will see. Wish me luck!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it! Best of luck!

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move was fairly successful. Moving and upgrading is not something I will do in the future as I was planning on using my old plumbing and of course couldn't do a fit ahead of time as it was running my reef. Go figure I didn't account for the 1.5" horizontal difference on the return line to get to the sump so I had to make a run to Home Depot.... twice.

After two 18 hour days I finally got everything in, stable and remounted. Biggest lost was my cleaner goby and my massive pink plating monti which shattered into 8 pieces (anyone in Richmond want a frag?). A few colonies were too close in the tote so worried I might also lose an acan.

And finally I can rest. I will worry about setting up my Reef-pi controllers and ATO when I finish moving Tuesday

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back