Nephthea coral problem

myboyblu

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
39
Reaction score
22
Location
Auburndale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have had this Nephthea for a little over a year. It has always had this black crusty looking stuff on the stalk, kinda looks like charcoal. I never worried about it, the coral was doing great with big open polyps So i thought is was normal, maybe algae or something.
About a month ago it spread like crazy all over the entire coral, polyps, stalk everywhere. Any ideas?
PO4 0.01
NO3 0
NO2 0
CA 510
KH 10.6
PH 8.33
Mg 1280

20170514_200045.jpg


20170514_200058.jpg


20170514_200110.jpg
 
Not a great pic, but this is what it looked like before the black strings.

20170219_174919.jpg
 
I know there is a lot of content on this site but I really need help with this. Has no one seen this before?
 
Is it an algae? I have a sinularia and sometimes algae grows on the base. Could you try brushing it off perhaps?
 
I thoight it was algae... but it's more like decay. It has a cavity where the "algae" is coming from.
 
Soft coral needs to shed periodically. If flow isn't sufficient it will not be able to rid itself of this waste. Try aiming a powerhead towards it and see if it helps....you might need to frag off unaffected parts to save some if it...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new