Neptune Apex alarming question

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex Controller and have put all my alerts (including my probes) into the EMAILALM_I6 output. Has worked great. The problem is I am getting more and more inputs and I would like to take all these lines and use the ADVANCE TAB on each probe with ranges. This way of alarming has never worked for me. They never trigger. Am i missing something here? I would think it would be as easy as setting the range in these ADVANCE tabs. If I keep the alarm in the EMAILALM_I6 things work great so I know my notification settings are working correctly.

Thoughts??

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex Controller and have put all my alerts (including my probes) into the EMAILALM_I6 output. Has worked great. The problem is I am getting more and more inputs and I would like to take all these lines and use the ADVANCE TAB on each probe with ranges. This way of alarming has never worked for me. They never trigger. Am i missing something here? I would think it would be as easy as setting the range in these ADVANCE tabs. If I keep the alarm in the EMAILALM_I6 things work great so I know my notification settings are working correctly.

Thoughts??
What is your apex code on the advanced tab ?

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones on the advanced tab work from Fusion, while the EMAIL one can send email directly from the Apex. Are you getting the emails directly, or are you getting the texts from fusion? (The email one can also alert from fusion, if setup that way instead)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Apex have an active alarm at the moment? If it does, you will not receive any notification of new alarm events until that current alarm condition is cleared. This is a limitation of the Apex alarm architecture.

Read my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more details and tips:

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones on the advanced tab work from Fusion, while the EMAIL one can send email directly from the Apex. Are you getting the emails directly, or are you getting the texts from fusion? (The email one can also alert from fusion, if setup that way instead)
I am only aware of one place to set up my email/phone text and that is in the Apex Fusion under user/setting/notifications. I have my # in there and have tested it. I appears that the EMAILALM_I6 uses that. Is that what the Advance alerts also use. If they do, then it is correct and I am still missing something...

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Apex have an active alarm at the moment? If it does, you will not receive any notification of new alarm events until that current alarm condition is cleared. This is a limitation of the Apex alarm architecture.

Read my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more details and tips:
Thanks SuncrestReef. I did read that tutorial and it is great. Thanks for it. To answer you question no active alarms are on. I really do think I encounter a bug in their system, unless what garbled has stated above is that they are 2 places to put your phone number into. I saw a similar post by another guy about 1 year ago and he was having the same issue. Not sure if he got frustrated but no solution in the end. Before I call Apex guys, I want to make sure I have everything set correctly. By the way, I think it was your tank that inspired me about a year ago. Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your apex code on the advanced

Thanks SuncrestReef. I did read that tutorial and it is great. Thanks for it. To answer you question no active alarms are on. I really do think I encounter a bug in their system, unless what garbled has stated above is that they are 2 places to put your phone number into. I saw a similar post by another guy about 1 year ago and he was having the same issue. Not sure if he got frustrated but no solution in the end. Before I call Apex guys, I want to make sure I have everything set correctly. By the way, I think it was your tank that inspired me about a year ago. Thanks again for your help.
One thing I did a long time ago, was to rename that EMAILALM_I6 outlet to something else. I renamed it back to see if it would fix the problem. I even hard reset the APEX back to nothing. Again that outlet appears to work fine with email alarms. I have take most of my code out just to make sure it is not causing the issue (I can show it if you guys like, but it is so simple). The Advance Input Alarms just do not work. My guess is the Advance input alarms do not need that outlet and that EMAILALM_I6 is just another interface into their Alarm code along with the Advance Input alarms.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I did a long time ago, was to rename that EMAILALM_I6 outlet to something else. I renamed it back to see if it would fix the problem. I even hard reset the APEX back to nothing. Again that outlet appears to work fine with email alarms. I have take most of my code out just to make sure it is not causing the issue (I can show it if you guys like, but it is so simple). The Advance Input Alarms just do not work. My guess is the Advance input alarms do not need that outlet and that EMAILALM_I6 is just another interface into their Alarm code along with the Advance Input alarms.
FYI, the default name is EmailAlm_I5, not I6. I doubt that makes any difference, but might be worth a shot.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I encounter an Apex with completely unexplained odd behavior, the first thing I check for is any duplicate names in the configuration. You should not have any Inputs, Outputs, Profiles, or Modules with the same name. If you do, the Apex will malfunction in unpredictable ways. Go through each of those lists to confirm there are no duplicates. If you find any, rename them with unique names and then reboot the Apex to reload the corrected configuration.

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I encounter an Apex with completely unexplained odd behavior, the first thing I check for is any duplicate names in the configuration. You should not have any Inputs, Outputs, Profiles, or Modules with the same name. If you do, the Apex will malfunction in unpredictable ways. Go through each of those lists to confirm there are no duplicates. If you find any, rename them with unique names and then reboot the Apex to reload the corrected configuration.
They look good. I have lots of them so that took a minute. But good to know for the future. I am surprised you can get duplicates. Could you do me a favor and look at your outputs and let me know what you have for type Alarm. I don't think they use an outlet for these types of alarms, but I want to check to make sure. I did open a support ticket with Neptune.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look good. I have lots of them so that took a minute. But good to know for the future. I am surprised you can get duplicates. Could you do me a favor and look at your outputs and let me know what you have for type Alarm. I don't think they use an outlet for these types of alarms, but I want to check to make sure. I did open a support ticket with Neptune.
There should be 3 Alarm outputs:
4C1789E7-3AC0-4452-AA1F-DC5A99EE25B2.png

The EmailAlm output should be listed as “base_email” in the output configuration screen:
36DFE3C1-0302-4D5F-9308-71689DD52D95.png

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I figured it out. Thanks to everyone. For some reason I had a Input Alarm on a C-ReturnW (wattage for my C Tank). The funny thing was that it was in the inside the range and no alarms were active. It probably been that way for months. Somehow Apex thought it was active. I opened a ticket with Neptune and they got back to me almost immediately (on a Saturday afternoon- Good support and now I don't mind spending all that money, + I love most of their products). They gave me a standard reply but it got me thinking that maybe I should just disable all my Input Alarms starting backwards. Well it didn't take long before my Alkalinity alarm went off. Definitely a bug somehow because based on the doc they said Input Alarms work over Email Alarms. Obviously not the case with me. Here is their response (Thankyou Neptune).

--------------------------------

There are 2 sets of alarms for the Apex. The "Input" alarms (Ph, Temp, ORP, Salinity, and Flow) and there are "Email" alarms.
The email alarms read last line true, meaning if you have 2 alarms in the Email alarm you will get alarm that is listed Last. So in the email make sure you put the most important alarms First, and the least important alarms Last.

To throw another wrinkle; The Input alarms will have precedence over the Email Alarms and Apex will only give you 1 alarm at a time.
So if you have a "Input" alarm And an Email alarm you will only get the Input alarm until you clear this alarm and then the next one will appear. Apex also goes through the Input alarms in Alphabetical order so the last alarm on the list will show up first.

You can turn off the "Input" alarms in the configuration page,
click the Advanced Tab and select Alarm Never.
Then go to the email alarm and put the alarms you want (PH, Temp, Salinity ETC.
Remember the Order of importance.

Back