Neptune Apex Par Meter????? Should I?

Neptune Par Meter

• My friends brothers, girlfriend, sisters, boyfriend, daddy had one, like it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of adding a Par Meter to my apex but not heard if they are any good or not. I have not had the best of luck with Apex so its hard for me to add more money into the Apex system. I have not been happy with it the system at the best. And to get them to do the right things and stand behind the stuff is so hard. I really need good opinions and all the info I can get about the meter before I spend the money. Please give me all that you can, and thanks.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO rent a good meter to set your lights and save the rest of the money for something else. The apex par meter never really made sense to me.
thought about it but I change thing to much and like to check and recheck to much as well. And gees they want to take the money for the price of the meter and hold it anyways.
I like to have my toys and always having the things I need. I started renting a meter a few years ago and just getting tired of doing it that way ya know. I could have already bought a couple meters as many times as I have rented one. Just figured I would pull the trigger finally.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. I've found that I use it just for when i'm making minor adjustments and evaluating the relative changes. I haven't had great success with it on an absolute PAR level (I also have a small tank with an odd setup). I would agree that renting a good meter and establishing a baseline is extremely valuable. From there you can either watch your how your coral responds to changes or use the PMM to measure your changes........and still watch how your coral responds.

Also, maybe i'm doing something wrong but the par updates through the app is pretty slow by default.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They return the money after the rental, which can then be spent elsewhere. And continually changing light settings IMO is not good practice or needed. Sounds like youve made up your mind already.

Good luck

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the PMK. I used it a lot when I first got it and my tank was brand new, but lately I only use it once in a great while, typically when I get a new coral and I'm trying to decide where to place it in my tank now that the tank is going on 2 years old.

One thing to know is that the Fusion dashboard tiles update very slowly (about a 30 second lag), so when taking PAR readings I always use the http://apex.local interface where the readings update very quickly.

I mounted the PAR sensor on the end of a PVC pipe to use as a handle so I can take measurements from multiple locations easily without getting my hands wet:

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

C3DE6A4E-C6E3-41E9-83F5-50F56F2895BC.jpeg

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the PMK. I used it a lot when I first got it and my tank was brand new, but lately I only use it once in a great while, typically when I get a new coral and I'm trying to decide where to place it in my tank now that the tank is going on 2 years old.

One thing to know is that the Fusion dashboard tiles update very slowly (about a 30 second lag), so when taking PAR readings I always use the http://apex.local interface where the readings update very quickly.

I mounted the PAR sensor on the end of a PVC pipe to use as a handle so I can take measurements from multiple locations easily without getting my hands wet:

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

C3DE6A4E-C6E3-41E9-83F5-50F56F2895BC.jpeg
Thank You for the info. I was wondering if I was going to get any help with it. Everytime something is asked everyine seems to have something to say just not what was asked.
When you use it do you use the fusion app or the local classic dashboard? I know with the local it updates faster and I use it when I'm doing something to my breakout box.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They return the money after the rental, which can then be spent elsewhere. And continually changing light settings IMO is not good practice or needed. Sounds like youve made up your mind already.

Good luck
I know they return the money, like I said I have rented enough over the years To buy a meter. I have been doing tanks for a long time and know what's good and bad practice. I do have my mind made up on getting a meter, yes. This is why I was asking about the neptune meter to see which one to get. I wasnt asking the best way to check my par. I have done it numbers times and need no guides on the topic. I thank you for your reply but like I stated in the main thread I needed opinion only on the neptune par meter not what to do, something I knew to do years ago. Thabks again and good luck to you.

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like having mine in the tank 24/7. It lets me know when there are issues with PAR due to water clarity and also use it when acclimating new corals. I see zero negative and only positive, although if funds are limited, it isn’t a “must have”.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like having mine in the tank 24/7. It lets me know when there are issues with PAR due to water clarity and also use it when acclimating new corals. I see zero negative and only positive, although if funds are limited, it isn’t a “must have”.
No issues with the funds. just want a good meter and tired of renting. want one on hand all the time.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the info. I was wondering if I was going to get any help with it. Everytime something is asked everyine seems to have something to say just not what was asked.
When you use it do you use the fusion app or the local classic dashboard? I know with the local it updates faster and I use it when I'm doing something to my breakout box.

You must have missed the part where I said I use http://apex.local when taking PAR readings because Fusion is slow. :)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps;
from the thread, "Seneye or Neptune PMK???", (This thread might interest you.)
"I own both meters. I have had them mounted side by side and ran comparison tests. As far as the PAR readouts go mine were very close and consistent. The data update rate of the Seneye is quicker so I would choose it as a handheld spot checker to get a map of your PAR levels. But to get accurate readings from the Seneye it does need to be pointed directly at the light source more so than the Neptune PMK. "
To add to this, the Neptune meter has a frosted lens over the sensor while the Seneye has a clear lens. Therefore the Seneye readings are more likely to jump around due to light spikes from rippling water and directional aiming while the Neptune gives more of an averaged out smoother set of data.
The Neptune meter does come with a fake rock if you want to leave it in the tank but, unless you can get to the lens to clean it, algae growth will skew the results. I mounted mine on some stiff Loc-Line which makes it easier to get under underhangs and around corals.
Bottom line, it's nice to have it when you want it!

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps;
"I own both meters. I have had them mounted side by side and ran comparison tests. As far as the PAR readouts go mine were very close and consistent. The data update rate of the Seneye is quicker so I would choose it as a handheld spot checker to get a map of your PAR levels. But to get accurate readings from the Seneye it does need to be pointed directly at the light source more so than the Neptune PMK. "
To add to this, the Neptune meter has a frosted lens over the sensor while the Seneye has a clear lens. Therefore the Seneye readings are more likely to jump around due to light spikes from rippling water and directional aiming while the Neptune gives more of an averaged out smoother set of data.
The Neptune meter does come with a fake rock if you want to leave it in the tank but, unless you can get to the lens to clean it, algae growth will skew the results. I mounted mine on some stiff Loc-Line which makes it easier to get under underhangs and around corals.
Algae does not skew the results unless you just leave it to sit for months. It cleans very easily for me. The Neptune PMK data update rate is not slow unless you are using the main Apex app reading. If I remember correctly, the place it found it to change pretty much instantly was after clicking the par number in the app, then it updated much quicker. I will check tonight after work to confirm that is the location.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps;
That is great man thank you for that info great help.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back