Neptune ATK, is it still bad?

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I'm going back and forth between the Tunze and Neptune ATK. I would prefer the ATK due to it being more compatible with an Apex, as my entire tank will be soon controlled via Apex. That being said I've read many bad things over the past few years about the ATK. The most recent thread on this board, from March, seemed like it might be worth looking into again as they've made some recent changes. I'm wondering (hoping) the ATK has improved and is now reliable, would love to hear some updated opinions on the product.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ark in standalone really sucked imo. The v1 sensors weren't the greatest but the v2 sensors are pretty decent so far.

In standalone when feeding it would always go into alarm when the sump level rose, had to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. This would prevent it from setting the auto IQ feature.

Connected to the apex it's I think it's pretty good. You can set just about any thing you want.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATK sucks! Buggest point of sale Ive purchased for my tank. ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS goes into alarm mode. EVERY DAY. MULTIPLE TIMES PER DAY. It is useless. I cannot leave my tank unattended for top off now that I have an ATK. Looking for alternatives and chuck this point of sale in the garbage.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had ATK since it came out. Have had both versions. ZERO PROBLEMS.. Once in a while , wipe the sensors off and good to go. Never had it stand alone.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I'm going back and forth between the Tunze and Neptune ATK. I would prefer the ATK due to it being more compatible with an Apex, as my entire tank will be soon controlled via Apex. That being said I've read many bad things over the past few years about the ATK. The most recent thread on this board, from March, seemed like it might be worth looking into again as they've made some recent changes. I'm wondering (hoping) the ATK has improved and is now reliable, would love to hear some updated opinions on the product.
Same question

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t have experience with other higher end ATOs, but I’ve had the Neptune ATK running for a few months with little to zero problems. It’s running with an Apex EL, Trident and AFS, so no problems with alarms and feeding. I have received annoying alarms if it feeds just up to the high water sensor: on, off, on, off, on, off, until the water gets back under the sensor. I have also triggered the float valve, but that was my own fault as the piece that prevents a siphon was under water in my RODI container.

I run tubing along my baseboard about 20 feet to a 20G Brute RODI, it works great. I plan to get a DOS at some point, but I had an extra PMUP already, which I’ve placed in my return chamber. This allows me to do water changes via the same line, with a 2 valve switches and some splitters and moving the ATK PMUP to the saltwater Brute to pump new SW back to the tank. It takes about 5 minutes per gallon, each way, and I do need to turn off my return pump—e.g., a 5 gallon change takes about 50 mins. total.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATK sucks! Buggest point of sale Ive purchased for my tank. ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS goes into alarm mode. EVERY DAY. MULTIPLE TIMES PER DAY. It is useless. I cannot leave my tank unattended for top off now that I have an ATK. Looking for alternatives and chuck this point of sale in the garbage.

Tunze 3155 - mine is still working after 7 years. Reviews are excellent.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. I run apex with a Tunze 3155. Not everything apex is best choice. Some of the apex addons just leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks! I hadn't even seen that. It has great reviews and it's been along since Ryan at BRS had relatively short hair! The price point isn't my favorite, but it's not hateful. I probably have enough Preferred Reefer points after this Black Friday week to take a substantial chunk out of the price. I appreciate the information!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a love/hate relationship with my ATK. I hate the sensor positions and the fact that you can't changed them (unlike the Tunze) and I've had to replace the sensors. Plus the constant alarms from the slightest level change is downright annoying. I'm probably going to get another Tunze 3155 when I reset my tank. The 3155 that I bought for my nano 7 years ago is still going strong, even though some of the wires are exposed near the sensor/float valve, it's still running strong and with the original pump. Tunze just makes products that last, period! Btw, on my new nano build, I'm going full Hydros! I really hope BRS puts some quality back into Neptune?
To those out there looking for an ATO system, if you want automation, sensors, float valves, etc.... get a Tunze, but there's nothing wrong with good old school gravity fed systems. In fact, that's probably what I'll do with my reboot.
Happy reefing!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the atk in standalone is the worst. once pugged into an apex all alarms and other issues are gone. the v1 sensors were still an issue even when plugged into the apex. once replaced with the v2 sensors no more problems. I'd bet that most issues with the atk are from people using it as standalone. and the v1 sensors that go to crap.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hadn't even seen that. It has great reviews and it's been along since Ryan at BRS had relatively short hair! The price point isn't my favorite, but it's not hateful. I probably have enough Preferred Reefer points after this Black Friday week to take a substantial chunk out of the price. I appreciate the information!

My Tunze is 7 years old and still going, it even has the original pump. I only see one ATK listed on BRS and it costs more than the Tunze and has 3/5 stars :eek: I have no experience with the ATK personally though. No reason since my Tunze just keeps going... pretty sure it was manufactured before ATK was a thing.

Worth noting is the replacement pump for ATK is $45 and Tunze $26

Tunze 2 year warranty, Neptune 1 year

Last edited:

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. I run apex with a Tunze 3155. Not everything apex is best choice. Some of the apex addons just leave a lot to be desired.
This!! All it takes is for your apex head unit to die and suddenly you have no control over anything because all your eggs are in one basket. Ask me how I know. :p There’s nothing wrong with using apex but diversify your equipment. The tunze is amazing. I also like the duetto ATO.

For my next build I’m going with the hydros for that exact reason (has multiple “brains” like the controllers and the new outlets etc).

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree if you’re 50/50 you won’t go wrong with the Tunze. I love mine but I bought the ATK for a new build with a fish room 50ft away. Making the Tunze work in that situation would have been a challenge (external relay that only comes in European sockets to control a pump that can handle the head pressure, running the coms cable). There’s no need for an ATO to be connected to Apex and the Tunze has failsafes built into it, plus I like that it uses 2 different kinds of sensors. My Icecap ATO is going strong after a year but it feels really cheap and the power connection is a little iffy when you touch it.

That said, Apex has its benefits too in that it gives you control to set failsafes and timings.

I haven’t even filled the tank with water yet, but from what I’m reading here I’d like the pose a question: can’t most of these complaints be solved in programming? If the alarm is too hair trigger, make it wait longer. If it alarms during return-off feeding, have it turn off when you activate feeding mode. Etc. This assumes apex-connected. I don’t see why someone would go with ATK if they don’t use Apex.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree if you’re 50/50 you won’t go wrong with the Tunze. I love mine but I bought the ATK for a new build with a fish room 50ft away. Making the Tunze work in that situation would have been a challenge (external relay that only comes in European sockets to control a pump that can handle the head pressure, running the coms cable). There’s no need for an ATO to be connected to Apex and the Tunze has failsafes built into it, plus I like that it uses 2 different kinds of sensors. My Icecap ATO is going strong after a year but it feels really cheap and the power connection is a little iffy when you touch it.

That said, Apex has its benefits too in that it gives you control to set failsafes and timings.

I haven’t even filled the tank with water yet, but from what I’m reading here I’d like the pose a question: can’t most of these complaints be solved in programming? If the alarm is too hair trigger, make it wait longer. If it alarms during return-off feeding, have it turn off when you activate feeding mode. Etc. This assumes apex-connected. I don’t see why someone would go with ATK if they don’t use Apex.
The problem with the alarms is when using the atk in standalone, mostly when turning off pumps to feed fish.

When plugged into apex you can set any limitations you want and when you go to feed mode the high level sensor don't cause any alarms.

My code for the atk

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sump_L OPEN Then ON
If Sump_H CLOSED Then OFF
If Res_Lo OPEN Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON
Defer 000:15 Then OFF
When On > 005:00 Then OFF
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back