Neptune ATO/ATK placement

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some imput on setting the placement of my neptune ato/atk top off. My dilemma is the return area where I'd normally put it is in back of the sump and down pretty far. The divider height from first to second chamber is way above the 6" of water I keep in the return area.

That means I cannot see apex atk float valve or the sensors I want to add from the front. And I notice the atk tends to shift so I want to see it and have a tape line so I know it is in place. Right now, if I put it here, I'd have to lean way over and even then, might not be able to see or deal with the equipment well. There is a divider coming in to that area that is lower but the sponge is on the other side and that means I can't put the magnet held atk there as every time I want to rinse the sponge, I'd have to move the atk. Or ditch the sponge but not sure what to put there in its place.

So another option is to put the auto top off water into the skimmer chamber. It will be in front or on the side (if magnet falls there is enough room for me to slide it out, plus I can hot melt glue a cord to it to retrieve it).

Other option is to use the second sump where the UV pump is and my reactor when I put it in. That area is divided into 2 with a smaller refugium baffle behind the UV pump.

Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use this area for the ato line? I can tape the water line and set the sensors high and low and the float where I want it.
This pic shows where I put the atk-not hooked up. It is the orange about 6" lower than the top of the sump. The apex probes are to the left and the dosing lines need to also go in here. Not a lot of room... View is from the front. You can see how low the atk pump is.

20211116_204333.jpg

This view is holding the camera high above. Apex sensors will go to the left. You can see the sponge to the right. Not enough room at back of sump for the magnet, plus if it falls, will be impossible to get out.
20211116_204321.jpg

Option 2 either the front or side here. Side can even be back a bit. I'd have to see if there is room for the magnet against the side wall.
20211116_204305.jpg

3rd option is to put the ato lines here. It is the 2nd sump. Plumbed to the main sump. I could easily add tape to mark my water line here.
20211116_204407.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move the probe holder and probes to the first chamber after the filter socks (the one in front of the skimmer chamber) and then you should have room for the ATK float valve and sensor (and you'll then have a clear line of sight). This is where I located my probes.

If for any reason you have to replace a probe, the shorter distance travelled the happier you'll be (trust me). This is an outdate sump photo, but you can see where I placed the probes on the left.

B06C2446-AC6A-4B39-BFAE-BBDBC72884DB.jpeg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move the probe holder and probes to the first chamber after the filter socks (the one in front of the skimmer chamber) and then you should have room for the ATK float valve and sensor (and you'll then have a clear line of sight). This is where I located my probes.

If for any reason you have to replace a probe, the shorter distance travelled the happier you'll be (trust me). This is an outdate sump photo, but you can see where I placed the probes on the left.

B06C2446-AC6A-4B39-BFAE-BBDBC72884DB.jpeg
good idea for the probes as same issue, I won't be able to see them.

The issue for the atk is I can't see it in the back chamber, not even the water level and float valve to see if it is working. I'd have to almost climb inside and look down or use camera phone. I like moving the probes but also need to move the atk to where I can see it

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good idea for the probes as same issue, I won't be able to see them.

The issue for the atk is I can't see it in the back chamber, not even the water level and float valve to see if it is working. I'd have to almost climb inside and look down or use camera phone. I like moving the probes but also need to move the atk to where I can see it
I can see it just fine through the glass partition between the overflow and return chambers? Can you reverse the float? If not I'd move it to the back of the return chamber so you can see it.

Get some LED lighting (even if it's just one of those motion-activated pucks you can stick to the top of the cabinet) and that should help.

Trust me - it will be pretty obvious straight away if it's working or not. What I might be inclined to do is hook it up to a temporary (small) RO source for testing. In my sump you can see the RO top up tank; for testing purposes I just filled it with a small amount of RO until I had everything tweaked.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good idea (a small temp ro source to test). I can't move it to the back wall as there is not enough room for the magnet holder between sump and cabinet back and if it falls, I'll never get it out.

I'll remove the probe holder and move the atk over to see if I can work with that. If not, another chamber.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back