Neptune Conductivity Probe MFG Date

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively newer reefer enthusiast here :)

I was searching for a replacement Neptune Conductivity Probe recently and I actually found one! Apparently, it's mfg date is 2016, however, it's new with still capped solution attached (according to the supplier, Dynamictank.com).

The probe is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and before I open it and attempt to use it, I was hoping someone might come across this thread with more knowledge than me, and would impart some wisdom about using older probes that are still listed as new. Essentially, maybe it's obvious to someone that this would be a waste of money because it's too old, or perhaps there's no issue at all!

I just purchased a Pro-Clear Pro Star 230 v2 from my LFS. It's set up now and I need to make a build thread on it, just always working and haven't had time!

Thanks and happy reefing!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, the mfg date is a reference point for a replacement when in use. Assuming the probe is actually new and has not ever been in use/connected it is likely OK. HOWEVER, due to it being out-of-date, so to speak, I would expect it to be for sale at a steep discount. If not, just get a newly manufactured one.

OP
OP
Djordan719

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, the mfg date is a reference point for a replacement when in use. Assuming the probe is actually new and has not ever been in use/connected it is likely OK. HOWEVER, due to it being out-of-date, so to speak, I would expect it to be for sale at a steep discount. If not, just get a newly manufactured one.
Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn’t call it a “steep” discount, but a discount nonetheless. They’ve been hard to find lately, and apparently I’m impatient which I know is blasphemous in this hobby!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn’t call it a “steep” discount, but a discount nonetheless. They’ve been hard to find lately, and apparently I’m impatient which I know is blasphemous in this hobby!
Blasphemous indeed. A conductivity probe is not something I would be too pressed to get. It would be a bummer if you purchased the older one and it ended up not working properly. It would then cost you that much more to get a replacement, newly manufactured one. Conductivity meters are somewhat finicky and moderately unreliable. I use mine to just monitor salinity for fluctuations and not accurate representations of true salinity.

BTW, there is a like button... ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back