Neptune COR-20 -- Good & Bad?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a return pump for my Waterbox 220. Thinking of going with the Neptune COR-20 but would love to hear from all of you. Give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially had two Cor 20s for the loops on my tank, not sump returns the returns have a 12' head. The cors were placed directly under the tank just as loop circulation pumps. They were really easy to hook up and set up feeds etc. The issue I had was that each pump had to run (8) 1/2" return lines. The pumps simply were not powerful enough for the application. I ended up selling them. My dt is about 135gal and system is about 300. On something smaller these would be very nice pumps.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 in service and 1 as a backup/switch out for cleaning.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially had two Cor 20s for the loops on my tank, not sump returns the returns have a 12' head. The cors were placed directly under the tank just as loop circulation pumps. They were really easy to hook up and set up feeds etc. The issue I had was that each pump had to run (8) 1/2" return lines. The pumps simply were not powerful enough for the application. I ended up selling them. My dt is about 135gal and system is about 300. On something smaller these would be very nice pumps.

I'm thinking they may not be the best for my system either. I may go with the Reef Octopus VarioS-8 since it's compatible with the APEX if I ever decide to go that route.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 220 it would depend on your goal flow wise. For me flow through my sump is pretty slow, but my water trickles through an ats and gets held in a 50 gallon cryptic tank. If I remember correctly my sump turn over was something like 4× an hour. My dt flow comes from 16 jets that simply loop water through the tank (no treatment etc it's just for circulation) I don't have any ph just a loop. The loop is what I was trying to run with the cor20s. I just couldn't get the flow I wanted, if they had been setup for my sump return I'd probably still be using them today. The pump that replaced them is a HAMMERHEAD/BARRACUDA HYBRID 6000⁄4590 GPH EXT.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 220 it would depend on your goal flow wise. For me flow through my sump is pretty slow, but my water trickles through an ats and gets held in a 50 gallon cryptic tank. If I remember correctly my sump turn over was something like 4× an hour. My dt flow comes from 16 jets that simply loop water through the tank (no treatment etc it's just for circulation) I don't have any ph just a loop. The loop is what I was trying to run with the cor20s. I just couldn't get the flow I wanted, if they had been setup for my sump return I'd probably still be using them today. The pump that replaced them is a HAMMERHEAD/BARRACUDA HYBRID 6000⁄4590 GPH EXT.

I'm trying to get 10X turnover on my tank. I think I would be cutting it close with a COR-20.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm big on redundancy to plan for failure so I'd be running two pumps anyway, I know it's not how everyone thinks but for me my main pump is to critical to not have two in place. Two would definitely have you covered lol.

Pthornhhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking they may not be the best for my system either. I may go with the Reef Octopus VarioS-8 since it's compatible with the APEX if I ever decide to go that route.
I’m running one I’m change it out plumed in 1” pipe total of 2 feet and only get 350 gph for a pump rated at 2000 gph I don’t buy that

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back